Can someone help me to identify the year of my Studebaker

Guest mike1946

Guest mike1946

I have a Studebaker Dictator, 2 door sedan, with a straight 8 engine. Can someone help my identify the year of it?

Thanks,

Mike

The serial no. you provide is for the 1929-30 Dictator Eight mode FC. This model was produced from May 1929 thru August 1930. Yours would have been fairly early in the production cycle, (Serial range 2120001 to 2136227), so likely a '29 though Studebaker did not recognize model years at that time.

Guest mike1946

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. There is a tag on the left side that has FCF and below the letters are the numbers 655. I can't find a tag on the firewall. Would it have been high on the firewall? There are two holes, that possibly could have held a tag, but there isn't one there now :( I do have a title, that states it's a 1928 two door. VIN # on title is 2543. I haven't been able to find any information on a Dictator with 8 cylinders being a 1928. The car has been in a storage building for 50 + years, parked in 1959. It has 48,000 original miles. I haven't started it, but I put the crank in it, and it rolls over. The vinyl is gone on the top. The interior is in it, but is the original. The car is has no rust holes, but does have some surface rust on the fenders. Overall, I would say the car is in quite good condition.

I'm thinking about possibly selling it, but wouldn't know what to ask. Would anyone have an idea on that as well? All/any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Mike

Guest mike1946

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. There is a tag on the left side that has FCF and below the letters are the numbers 655. I can't find a tag on the firewall. Would it have been high on the firewall? There are two holes, that possibly could have held a tag, but there isn't one there now :( I do have a title, that states it's a 1928 two door. VIN # on title is 2543. I haven't been able to find any information on a Dictator with 8 cylinders being a 1928. The car has been in a storage building for 50 + years, parked in 1959. It has 48,000 original miles. I haven't started it, but I put the crank in it, and it rolls over. The vinyl is gone on the top. The interior is in it, but is the original. The car is has no rust holes, but does have some surface rust on the fenders. Overall, I would say the car is in quite good condition.

I'm thinking about possibly selling it, but wouldn't know what to ask. Would anyone have an idea on that as well? All/any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,

Mike

The tag on the left side is the body tag. The FC is the model designation as I mentioned in my previous email. The "F" following the FC means it is a two door body style (commonly referred to as a coach back then) and the number 655 simply means it was the 655th Dictator 2 door FC body to be assembled. It would definitely not be a '28 model year car since, as I mentioned, production did not start until May 1929. Likely a clerical error.