1927 Pontiac compression test - what psi should I be seeing?

cascadia

Hello all, I'm putting a 27 Pontiac Six back on the road after a 50 year hibernation. It was stored correctly and shouldn't be that difficult. I just completed a compression test and I'm seeing around 60psi on all cylinders. I'm trying to get an idea of what a benchmark number should be, haven't found anything on the web, any experts out there that can weigh in?

Easy to calculate.

Atmospheric pressure is 14.7psi.

Multiply by the compression ration (about 5.5 to 1 I think) gives 80.85.

Subtract the original 14.7 (as your compression gauge reads atmospheric pressure as zero) gives you 66.15.

So in a perfect world, in a brand new engine that leaks no compression it should be 66 psi, so your 60 is excellent. Further to this I compression tested my 29 Pontiac a little while back which had a good tight running engine, it made 55 to 60psi on all cylinders. You're good to go!

According to the "Mechanical Features" manual that I have for the Series 6-27 Pontiac the compression ratio is 4.9 to 1 so your engine's rings and valves are in good shape.

That's good news, thanks for the information. Here's a picture of the gentleman I bought the car from, he's 80 years young. He bought the car in 1956 and drove it until 1960 when it was put up on blocks.post-46597-14313932168_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...