cigar lighter

bigvic

Guest outlaw car man

Yes, I have. The lighter has one hot ( +) led that comes off the back,the body of the unit is grounded to the dash itself. When you push on the lighter it makes contact and the coil heats up. I have a working one in the rear too. When the center round glass eye turns color you are working.

As I remember the hot led is hooked to the hot led coming into the Amp guage.

OCM

Yes, I have. The lighter has one hot ( +) led that comes off the back,the body of the unit is grounded to the dash itself. When you push on the lighter it makes contact and the coil heats up. I have a working one in the rear too. When the center round glass eye turns color you are working.

As I remember the hot led is hooked to the hot led coming into the Amp guage.

OCM

Hello I thought it would work after you pulled the lighter out, your saying to push on it to heat it up? I'll put tester on it. Did you try to rewire it? Thanks BV

bigvic,

Outlaw car man is describing the function of the more modern type, such as what is in my 1934 Model 57, or for that matter, like a modern lighter (except for the jewel).

The type on a retractable reel is more similar to what is in my '30 Packard, and is energized only when the lighter reel is first pulled. I believe that the rotation of the reel enables the lead contact to complete its circuit and the element is energized. It will burn you if you are not careful (don't ask how I know - just showing off !).

bigvic,

Outlaw car man is describing the function of the more modern type, such as what is in my 1934 Model 57, or for that matter, like a modern lighter (except for the jewel).

The type on a retractable reel is more similar to what is in my '30 Packard, and is energized only when the lighter reel is first pulled. I believe that the rotation of the reel enables the lead contact to complete its circuit and the element is energized. It will burn you if you are not careful (don't ask how I know - just showing off !).

Hello thought about rewiring it and haven't taken it apart, was worried about losing parts when the spring lets go.... I'll put a tester on it before to check the get hot mechanism. Thanks P.S. what size fuse do you have in line with yours?

bigvic,

I'm not near the car now, and don't recall the fuse capacity, but would guess that it is likely a 30 Amp