Frame going

Guest reattafun

Guest reattafun

Left front tire blew and when the tire was being changed I noticed the frame hanging down and was told by the auto repair that he can't touch it. What is the fix for these?

Thank you

There is no "frame" under a Reatta as the body is unit construction. In the front the engine is supported by a "sub-frame" or cradle.

The engine is mounted to this cradle as are the lower control arms for the suspension. The cradle is then mounted to the Reatta body.

The cradle is made of two pieces bolted together. You can replace half of the cradle but it is probably wise to replace the entire unit.

The cradle is common with the Buick Riviera of the same years. Depending on your cars mileage, it would also be a good time to replace the lower "A" arm bushing. You may also find that the bolts that mount the cradle to the body are badly rusted and the rubber isoluators are bad.

Your cradle may be ok but one of the mounting bolts has failed because of rust, In this case you may be able to replace the bolt (s) and be on your way, but you should inspect the entire cradle and remaining bolts for rust.

Do a search, other Reattas in the rust belt have had this problem and you can get the part numbers you need to do the repair from these posts.

I do not have access to the part numbers for the spacers or the washers. I ordered used ones from a fiero parts place. New washer is here The Fiero Store and the kit for the fiero bushings is here Prothane 7502 Engine Cradle Mount Bushings Motor Mount Inserts | eBay.

It is posible to get just the cradle bushings that fit, but you would have to go through a prothane distibutor. (There is not one in HI) but I am sure it would not save too much on total cost.

Like I said these are available and that is the important thing. If you are restoring for a show car I am not sure if they would doc points for using these, but my current Reatta is not for that purpose and it serves for my current use.

I am sure that we will see alot more of this part substitution in the future as no one is making OEM replacements for much of these cars and I do not see that changing ever.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[ATTACH=CONFIG]146279[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]146280[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]146281[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]146282[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]146283[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]146284[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]146285[/ATTACH]

The black bushings in the photos are Reatta and the red ones are the fiero. The biggest dif is the with as the highth is the same. They fit the engine cradle perfectly but a person as in myself will have to get the fiero spacers and washers.

Edited by D-a-n-i-e-l (see edit history)

Re: Thoughts on cradle mount bushings<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->I am going to use the Fiero bushings, washers, and spacers for my car. I will let you know how it turns out.

Also thought I would throw this knowlege out there for you. I am 95% sure thes will work for us, but I am not spending the $50 to test it as I am short on cash for my project. If some one wolud like me to check when I put my engine in they can buy and send them to me and I will let you know if they will fit and how close they are to the Reatta bushings in size ect. BTW Rockauto also has them (94 buick regal) we would need 4 rear and 2 front but all the parts are there new and AVAILABLE.

FRONT

REAR

Enjoy<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Daniel.................. good post, from your experience, will the same parts work in all 4 locations?

The Prothane link shows what appear to enough parts for 2 locations. The Ebay ad does not say how many parts you are buying but again, it looks like only enough for 2 mounts.

I do not need parts but about every other month someone contacts me wanting parts. They have checked with their GM dealer and the originals are discontinued (as we all know) I am just looking for good information and enough info to tell them how many they need to order.

I am going to use them in all locations. I have not found a good reason they cannot be used in all locations, during my mock ups. I had to buy three sets (if I recall correctly). If you find a dealer or become one they will let you order just the ones we can use. It was around 1000 to get them moving.

I checked the Dorman, and Prothane sites to see what they have. It would be nice to know what the difference is between Dorman 004 and 005.

I also checked GMpartdirect and GM assembly 1627359 is still available for $30 plus shipping from them it appears that that part number contains 3 parts as shown in the Reatta parts book.