1928 STD 6 gearbox bearing problems.

humber349

Hi

I have discovered a problem with my gearbox. This car was completely rebuilt mechanically 25 years ago, but has not run since.

The front gearbox bearing has been glued into the casing with Araldite Two-Part Epoxy Adhesive.

I presume the new bearing was loose in the housing. Is this a common problem? Anyone had a similar experience please?

Phil

Read my Buick story please- 1928buick | Just another WordPress.com site

Phil,

I am not a transmission guy, but my understanding is that there are no bearings on the shafts where they come though the transmission case.

My 13 Model 31 Buick has an aluminum housing that became worn around the lower transmission gear shaft. It leaked badly, so I used JB Weld to seal a cap over it on the outside of the housing. Yours may have had the same problem and was solved by the previous owner in a similar way.

Hi Phil,

Just replaced the bearings in my '30-47 gearbox which is very similar to yours. My bearing was tight in the housing, had to use the front cover to 'push' it into position. There is no shoulder to pull up against, it is positioned by this front cover and the shims inside the first motion shaft bearing against the end of the lay shaft. Don't think I'd be too worried about it being bonded in as long as the oil drain back at the bottom of the bearing housing is not covered.

post-71527-143139295447_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil,

Just replaced the bearings in my '30-47 gearbox which is very similar to yours. My bearing was tight in the housing, had to use the front cover to 'push' it into position. There is no shoulder to pull up against, it is positioned by this front cover and the shims inside the first motion shaft bearing against the end of the lay shaft. Don't think I'd be too worried about it being bonded in as long as the oil drain back at the bottom of the bearing housing is not covered.

Thanks Mark & Peter

We have the transmission unbolted ready for dropping out. I am worried that the bearing has been bonded in because it was loose in the casing, and maybe off centre in its housing.

I will not be happy until I have removed the Araldite, and discovered why the bearing was glued in, or hopefully proved the Araldite was not necessary in the first place.

Edited by humber349 (see edit history)