Engine part colors

Guest countrywill

Guest countrywill

Does anybody know the diffrent engine part colors, like the water pump, timeing chain cover, intake and exuast manifolds, push rod cover for a 48 248 inline. I just started to clean everything and because I plan on keeping it as stock as possible I dont want to paint parts the wrong color. If anyone has a clear pic that would be awsome. thanks

post-85525-143139280429_thumb.jpg This is what im working with

post-85525-143139280411_thumb.jpg

I've attached some engine pictures of my 1948 Buick. It is pretty correct as far as I've been able to determine from studying original and low mileage examples. The only change I've made from the pictures is to paint the oil filter housing a lighter shade of blue (Ford engine blue) and replace the oil filter decal with the correct white one (P115 Element).

The block, head, sheet metal covers, etc. are Buick Turquoise. The starter, generator, air cleaner and fan are semi-gloss black.The distributor and coil are more of a gloss black. The top of the fuel filter is red. The correct valve cover decal for non-hydraulic lifter equipped engines is blue as shown. Feel free to contact me if you need more detail or have other questions.

post-42951-143139281033_thumb.jpg

post-42951-143139281045_thumb.jpg

Guest countrywill

WOW that is super nice and clean. My next question is how much of a diffrence is there between the fire ball 8 and the non fireball like I have. Also my engine is MOSTLY torn down except the distributer coil pushrod cover are still on and the cam is in there also, ( i didnt have any ententsion of getting this involved in repairing the motor). I was trying not to completely disassemble it but looks like i might have to. next question is whats a good effective way to remove the grease and grime and 60 someodd year old dirt of the block. Ive been using easy off oven cleaner for some of the smaller parts, it works good but it can get messy. Im not trying build a show car or anything close to it. I just want it to look nice. I do plan on trying to make this car a daily driver. thanks for the pics that is a very beatiful motor

For many years, all Buick engines had "Fireball Eight" decals. Your valve cover was probably repainted in the past and the decal was not replaced. For cleaning you could try Simple Green and a variety of scrub brushes. Old tooth brushes are great for getting into tight places. There are several suppliers for the correct color engine paint both in brush on quart cans and spray cans. If you are completely disassembling the engine, consider glass bead blasting many of the parts. That is what I did on my engine.

Guest countrywill

Im having a hard time trying to not look at the pics you posted of your motor, its so clean.....lol.. anyway you would know more than i would about these cars, this is my first Buick and first passenger car ( ive always had ford pick ups and nothing else). I got a freind thats going to bring his blaster over a lend a hand in cleaning this beast. I ordered the spay turquios from CARS and im planning getting the rest of the paint later on. thanks for the help!!!

Guest countrywill

you would happen to know were i can get a new glass bowl for the carb do you. Ive been told that its impossible to find those now. Or even that dust cover thingy thats on the bell housing, driver side for the clutch arm dohicky. ( ive never delt with a clutch before either)

The glass fuel filter bowl and clutch fork boot are both available from Bob's Automobilia. The boot is Part#TCB-403 ($12.50) and the bowl is Part#FB-363 (8.95). I noticed in your pictures that your engine is missing the spark plug cover. I have some nice spare covers if you are interested.

Guest countrywill

I didnt know if the covers were on certain models or not. Yes I would definatly like to have one. They sure do make things look alot cleaner. How much are you asking for one? I will definatly check out Bobs