My New 63

Guest iflyoubuy

Guest iflyoubuy

Hello All, I recently just purchased my first fixer upper. I couldn't be happier with my decision to go with the Riviera. As I am new to this car and this forum I thought I would seek out help and see what everyone thinks of her looks so far. The engine starts but drivable yet as the transmission needs a flush. The cars odometer reads 84k miles. The previous owner did some metal work and it looks like he did a great job. The interior and dash mat have been sent in for redoing already but need to get a carpet kit. The seller also has a 64 at my disposal if I need anything from it. He stated

if I wanted the T400 Tranny i can switch the dyna out. Would any of you advise this? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

post-89258-143139244182_thumb.jpg

I paid 2500 for the car. I am having the seats and dash done for 900 and putting new exhaust for another 300 installed. The old exhaust got damaged from unloading it from the trailer.

post-89258-14313924417_thumb.jpg

post-89258-143139244176_thumb.jpg

post-89258-143139244179_thumb.jpg

post-89258-143139244185_thumb.jpg

post-89258-143139244188_thumb.jpg

post-89258-14313924419_thumb.jpg

post-89258-143139244193_thumb.jpg

Edited by iflyoubuy
Add info (see edit history)

Dear ?????

Welcome to the forum. Great choice for a "fixer upper." First of all, I'd like to say that we're a very friendly bunch here and we're all on a first name basis. A couple of things will make it easier for us to help you. Sign your posts with your name and let us know in which part of the country you live. Second, a lot of answers to questions you have may have already been answered. Do an advanced search for a single topic and limit it to the Riviera Owners Association (otherwise you'll be reading things about Farm-All tractors that have matching key words.) When you do have a question, start a new thread. You'll get many more readers that way. Trying to ask a question by "hi-jacking" an existing thread will get you unnoticed by many readers who have no interest in the original topic and will not see your question.

There is a thread going right now about similarities and differences between '63's and '64's you might find interesting. One of the biggest differences is the transmission, which you've already discovered. They're not a R&R swap. The crankshaft on the '63 is different than the crankshaft on a '64 and the flexplates do not interchange. Different shifters, transmission mounts, carburetors for the kick down (63 is manual, 64 is electric.) And the list goes on. Better to get the Dynaflow flushed and fitted with new gaskets when you're just getting started. Heating and A/C controls are another BIG difference. Placement of switches, etc. mean that different wiring harnesses are used. The differentials are connected to the drive shaft using different couplings. And the list goes on. Most sheet metal however is interchangeable, but the hood for example has different holes in it for the hood emblems between the two years, and the trunk has different holes for emblem placement. You should be able to tell what will fit and what won't by comparing the two side by side. Don't get caught in the "Fits 63 - 65" trap that you'll find with so many vendors on Ebay.

Join the Riviera Owners Association. Their magazine, The Riview, is dedicated to the ownership and restoration of the Riviera. Best restoration dollars you can spend. Classifieds, vendors who know their parts, and tech advisors for each generation of Riviera. There's a link to the ROA's website in my signature. Good luck, and keep us informed.

Ed

Guest iflyoubuy

Thank you for the response and I apologize. My name is Daniel from Peoria, AZ. I will definitely be signing up for "The Riview". Seems like a good source of info. I am glad I mentioned the Transmission as I will just stick with the original plan to flush. I also plan on keeping all my original parts, as my dad stated with these 1st Gen Riviera's, is to keep them original as possible. I would like to eventually swap out the grill and pick up a 65 so I can have the hidden head lights. From what I understand I will need some moving parts for the clam shell to open and close but that will come after I have done the basics. Since I am in AZ I would like to add A/C since this Riv came without one. I would also like to lower it 3" as a lot of people have done here already with Coil Springs Specialties. I am looking forward to this new endeavor. My previous project was a 74' Karmann Ghia which I loved but I felt it was time to move up to the big boy's. I will post updates and ask questions as I know I will have a lot of them but luckily have this forum to look for answers. Thank you Ed for the info.

Daniel

I have a friend here in the KC area who was going to put '65 headlights into his '63. After much searching, he found out the the front fenders are different on a '65 to accommodate the clamshell headlights as well as the '65 has different inner fenders for the same purpose. He settled for a custom aftermarket billet grill and has headlights hidden behind the turn signal grills - much easier and less expensive. There's a thread on use of Pontiac Grand Prix headlights in the archives. It would be worth checking out.

In order to do a '65 front end, the easiest way is to find a complete donor '65 Riv and use the entire front clip.

Ed

Guest iflyoubuy

Ohhh, great to know. Thank you. Once I get her on the road with no hiccups I will start with the messing around with customizing. Would you recommend even messing with adding an A/C? I read that modding/replacing the dash is tedious.

Daniel

Peoria, AZ

Not necessarily. The kits come with vents. Or if you can find a '63 donor car with good dash parts in it, you could use the dash vents from it. The '64 donor car would have the center and passenger vents, but the driver's side of the donor car has switches for the lights and wipers that aren't on the '63.