V-16 door handles Can anyone recognize these

AmerAhmad

post-42664-143139230339_thumb.jpgI am in the process of recommissioning a 1930 V-16 Cadillac # 702298 and the only things needing attention beyond the ordinary are the door handles. This car is Right hand drive with body by Van Den Plas (Belgium)and has done 8000 miles todate. The door handles/window winders are pewter and I was wondering if some eagle eyed member can recognize these . I need to know from where were these sourced? what other car used them etc. Seem American to me and I hope I can source replacements. Thanks.

Guest deutscheafrikar
I am in the process of recommissioning a 1930 V-16 Cadillac # 702298 and the only things needing attention beyond the ordinary are the door handles. This car is Right hand drive with body by Van Den Plas (Belgium)and has done 8000 miles todate.

Thanks.

Hello AmerAhmad. Greetings. . I had once seen a RHD V 16 in the late 60's. I was a little boy and it was parked outside our apartment block in Bandra, Bombay. I was taken to see this beauty by my Dad. It was owned then by Sheikh Mukhtar the Indian Film Actor. He had come with Indian film actress Late Meena Kumari to her sister' Madhuri (who had earlier marrried Mehmood the film comedian) house and also to meet Late Gulshan Nanda the Author who also lived in same building. It was a boat-tail body by pinnin. What a huge engine sixteen cylinder Vee! that originally beloned to the Maharaja of Orchha, Bhopal.

I think there were only handful of RHD V 16 cars manufactured. One Phaeton was owned by the Maharaja of Patiala who gifted it the the Maharaja of Tikari. Third car I know of belonged to the Nawab of Bahawalpur Sadiq Muhammad Khan Abbasi V. I think he had about two dozen different cars including a very rare Mercedes Benz 500K bodied by Barker.

All the best with your car. Hope she runs as well as she must look. Can the door handles not be cast in white metal?

Best regards

Nigel

99% of all Cadillac hardware after 1920 was supplied by the Ternstedt Manufacturing Company, named after its Swedish founder, Alvar K. Ternstedt (he invented the first practical car window regulator).

The company was acquired by Fisher Body in 1920 and became wholly owned by General Motors when it acquired all interests in Fisher Body in 1926. It was renamed the Ternstedt Division, GM Corp and was at one point the world’s largest producer of automotive body hardware including for all General Motors cars, through "Body by Fisher".

I am sure these parts may still be sourced (at a price!) in the USA. Pls send photos as recommissioning progresses. Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]160098[/ATTACH]I am in the process of recommissioning a 1930 V-16 Cadillac # 702298 and the only things needing attention beyond the ordinary are the door handles. This car is Right hand drive with body by Van Den Plas (Belgium)and has done 8000 miles todate. The door handles/window winders are pewter and I was wondering if some eagle eyed member can recognize these . I need to know from where were these sourced? what other car used them etc. Seem American to me and I hope I can source replacements. Thanks.

Check out this supplier, they have many different handles and can make what they do not have.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> CATALOGUE

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Thanks a lot everybody. I have sent the company an e mail. The pictured handles on their site are not the same as required.

Thanks to veesixteen for the information shared about the manufacturer. Will keep everyone posted on the progress. The car is up and running beautifully. All rubber parts have been sourced from steelerubber company and are excellent.

The door handles and other pewter type parts show some pitting which could be polished off but the threaded parts are very fragile and though the handles can be mounted, they would be very dainty to handle. The car is being prepared for use and show both so I need these to be in fine nick.

There is no rust on the car even where the paint has chipped off.

Leather is dry and prone to tearing.

• 6 months later...