using 52 RM intake on 1936 320

Frank Wilkie

I'm considering using a 52 buick 4 bbl intake manifold on a 1936 Century. Will I have to use the same 1952 Exhaust manifold because of the heat chamber or can I block it off? I was also considering using a 1940-41 split exhaust, would this work with the above 52 intake, of course not being able to hook up the heat chamber? Any ideas?

Guest mclbuick2002

Why not just use the dual carb manifold off a 1941/42 320 motor? Two 2s will give better fuel distribution than 1 four barrel.I have just mounted 2

Stromberg 48 carbs on a 1941 248 dual carb manifold on my 1936 233 engine.

Stan

Guest mclbuick2002

Frank

Dave Tacheny in Champlin Mn parts out prewar Buicks. He had dual carbs and a manifold for sale last year. But the Century has adequate power with the larger engine in the lighter car .There are other modifications you should make to your 36 to make it more drivable before changing carburetors.

1/ Radial tires- Coker

2/turn signals using front fender lights- Bob's

3/ 6 volt neg ground alternator- battery always charged. One wire self regulating. No voltage regulator needed. Use generator pulley. Cut slot in alternator and bolt right on to existing gen bracket.Local gen/starter/alt shop had several.

4/ Add quartz halogen headlights-supplier Listed in Hemmings.

5/ Pertronic electronic ignition to replace points.-Bob's

Stan

Frank,

A 6 volt electric fuel pump mounted back @ the tank, and a BIG clear plastic filter inbetween it and the tank, is a good idea if you get "vaporlock" on a hot day while running corn-gas. I wired mine to a hidden toggle switch under the dash.

Do the same with a 6 volt electric fan in front of the radiator.

Out here we pull some 6 percent grades that run for miles, and @ 8500 ft. there's no air up here. Vaporlock/ boilovers is a way of life.

Mike in Colorado

Frank,

Actually I replaced my OEM funky looking 4 bladed fan with a Hayden 6 bladed flex fan. If you search my posts, you will see how to do it very easily. I bought it on e-bay for around $40.00, and I think it was a # 3948, but I don't exactly remember. Just get the proper diameter to match your old one. I did have to trim about 1/2" off the back sides of the blades to clear the generator pully, but it cools MUCH better than the stock unit.

My car came with an electric fan mounted in front of the radiator, and wired directly to the battery thru a toggle switch under the dash, so I can run it with the ign on or off. Same is true w/ the elect fuel pump, which I use to "prime" the carb after she sits for a week, This saves grinding on the starter, and I also flip it on for vapor lock on our long mountain pulls.

Mike in Colorado