Bench Bleeding

Gwood

Fill the master with fluid, plug the outlet holes and pump the piston repeatedly until you no longer see bubbles coming up the surface of the fluid which you have filled the reservoir with.

Are you sure about that Jason? IIRC, master cylinders usually are supplied with plastic fittings and tubes that are attached to the fluid outlet port(s) so the fluid can be re-directed back into the reservoir or dumped into a container as the piston is pushed. I can't imagine you would get very far if the air can't be expelled in this manner. I believe it is usually done on the bench (i.e. held with a vice) while the rod is pushed although it could be done in the car.

Master Cylinder Bleeding - How To Bench Bleed Your Master Cylinder - Remove Air Bubbles

Yes I am sure. Plug the holes with a plastic stopper or whatever will plug them, fill the reservoirs, pump slowly and you will see the air bubbles rise to the surface, when you dont see the air bubbles anymore than it is bled. Be careful not to pump too quickly or you may end up with fluid in your face, sometimes that happens and sometimes not, dont know why it happens other than the obvious

Just for the heck of it I googled it and here is a video, I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat but this is the HOT set-up........ http://www.ehow.com/video_2327999_bench-bleed-master-cylinder.html

I have done them in the car/truck this way and never had an issue. Have fun

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Gwood I failed to mention that the plugs you use should be threaded otherwise they will have he tendency to come out as your pumping the diaphragm