1947 Buick Super 8 Series 50 convertible hydraulic pump no power

Guest craftsmen22

Guest craftsmen22

So for a while we had an issue about the hydraulic pump. I started another thread after the power windows didn't do a gread job. You can follow my old thread here: http://forums.aaca.org/f162/1947-buick-series-50-conv-hydraulic-326327.html#post1032313

So as it looks right now, the pump is broken. There is no movement on power windows or seat or top. So my question is where to get a new pump or to have one rebuilt. We are also in the need of a preasure gauge to read the pumps actual power.

As always, any help is welcome.

Tom

I have rebuilt them myself--not too complicated to do--and you can get the most needed new gaskets from Hydro-E-Lectric in Florida, or you can send them the entire pump and they will rebuild it for about $400 if I remember correctly. What most of them need is to be taken apart and cleaned. The old fluid gels up if left to sit unused for too many years, and plugs up the pump and its pick-up tube.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1949 model 59

1949 model 51

1949 model 71

1950 model 76-R

1954 model 48-D

I have rebuilt them myself--not too complicated to do--and you can get the most needed new gaskets from Hydro-E-Lectric in Florida, or you can send them the entire pump and they will rebuild it for about $400 if I remember correctly. What most of them need is to be taken apart and cleaned. The old fluid gels up if left to sit unused for too many years, and plugs up the pump and its pick-up tube.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1949 model 59

1949 model 51

1949 model 71

1950 model 76-R

1954 model 48-D

1959 Electra 2-dr. ht.

1962 Electra 225 4-dr. ht.

1963 Wildcat conv.

Guest craftsmen22

Hi Pete,

thank you for your help. I know hydro-e-lectric since I bought a couple of replacement hoses for the power windows. Will call them today to see what they say.

Any idea where to get a preasure pump?

Best regards,

Tom

Tom,

Pete has sent you in the correct direction. I have rebuilt 2 of my pumps and a couple for others. Not a difficult task. As Pete stated, the pump unit is probably gummed up. You can remove the unit from your car, remove the resevoir and work your way in. Hydro-E-Lectric also sells a kit so you could rebuild your pump yourself. You can purchase the resevoir and seal separately also. I would imagine that the gage is available also.

A question come to mind:

1. Is the motor on the unit turning on? I have seen some units have oxidized connections on the solenoid, even rusted off. Thus no power.

Hope this helps. Matt