1948 Desoto car turns over. Won't start. HELP!!! :-)

Guest kfunnyman

Guest kfunnyman

Here is the complete story as to how I got to this point. I lost the key to my ignition. I bought an after market ignition and installed it. Car worked perfectly. Months later I found my original key. Attempted to re-install the original ignition. Car turns over but now won't start up. I even re-installed the after market ignition. Car cranks but won't start. Nothing else was touched. (At lest to my knowledge.) :-) HELP!!!

Was the car out of use for months? Could be a little corrosion on the points. Clean with contact cleaner or brake clean spray then drag a strip of white copyer paper thru them till it comes out clean.

Getting power to the coil? And to the points? Check with a test light. With the test light between the points side of the coil and ground, does the light blink off and on when you turn the engine over? If so your points are working correctly.

Try these things, if it doesn't work get back to us.

Guest kfunnyman

First and foremost, thanks to both of you for your quick responses. The problem seemed to be with the points. The car had been driven at least once a week. Very reliable. Prior to reading your replies, I had replaced the coil and the condenser. Why? I suppose trial and error coupled with not knowing as much as I thought. :-) In any case, nothing happened after replacing those two items. After checking for power to the coil and to the points, I adjusted the points. The car started up just fine. My question, for future reference, can points get "out of whack" that quickly? Just before the problem began, two wires touched that caused a small spark. (I know I should I have mentioned that in the beginning.) Thanks.

Guest kfunnyman

First and foremost, thanks to both of you for your quick responses. The problem seemed to be with the points. The car had been driven at least once a week. Very reliable. Prior to reading your replies, I had replaced the coil and the condenser. Why? I suppose trial and error coupled with not knowing as much as I thought. :-) In any case, nothing happened after replacing those two items. After checking for power to the coil and to the points, I adjusted the points. The car started up just fine. My question, for future reference, can points get "out of whack" that quickly? Just before the problem began, two wires touched that caused a small spark. (I know I should I have mentioned that in the beginning.) Thanks.