Bent front axel - Help!

33Rock

I have a 1933 Rockne and just removed the front axle and discovered it has a bend on the right side. Can this be straightened? Has anyone done this without a press? What will happen if I leave it bent? I'm pretty sure the frame is bent as well.

The car had been sitting for years and had front end damage when I rescued it. When I removed the cable brakes there were no linings left and all f 4 wheels were soaked in grease! The last driver of the car must have had superhero strenth to stop the car!

Guest Al Brass

I'm assuming this is an I beam axle? I work in the heavy truck industry and truck axles are often straightened. It is usually done cold, that would be the recommended way. All that is needed is a heavy hydraulic press. It may be a good idea to tack weld some rods to either eye so that you can do some reference measurements and cast your eye over it as you work. You will need to strip the stub axles etc before you start.

Regards

Al

I agree with Al, I have had this problem in the past and its a simple job for the heavy truck repair industry but they need to know the king pin inclination to get it right. Its not a major expense.

If you do not straighten it it will not steer well and it does not need to be far out to cause a problem. I had a car that just did not track well, I had checked the axle alignment by eye when I restored it and it seemed OK but on the road I was forever making small steering corrections. I removed the axle, had it realigned to the correct king pin inclination and it now tracks perfectly.

I have a table of front axle specifications but it does not cover the 1933 Rockne, hopefully the information is around.