starter testing

mikes31rscoupe

Hello,

I have a 1931 Pontiac where the starter turns over very slowly. Battery is new. This is a 6 volt system. Can the starter be tested. The car has always started slowly. Sometimes after a few revolutions, it speeds up in the starting process probably because some of the pistons are firing? Any help?

Thanks

Mike

Any shop the rebuilds starters can test and repair your starter. There are dozens of vehicles that use the same armature and field coils and hundreds that use the same bearings and brushes. My first thought would be that perhaps you have a 12 volt positive cable or that the ground strap on the right front motor mount is worn or missing. I replaced the ground strap that went from the battery to the frame with a proper 6 volt cable that I ran directly to one of the starter mounting bolts. This improved my starting immensley. I have had to replace the brushes twice and the armature once in 53 years. The switch on the top of the starter is a source of trouble many times. You can take it off and turn the contact bolt a quarter turn unless someone has already done that,

The main reason that this switch burns out is that it arcs because people don't step smartley on the pedal. Most people push it down gentley and the contacts come together slowly and arc and overheat.

tin indian is giving some very good advise, a 6 volt system will not work at it's best with 12 volt battery cables. proper size cables for 6 volt system should be number 2 gauge or even better is number 0 (zero) gauge wire or cable. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.