Coil Overheating

Roger Frazee

My '47 Torpedo six is going through ignition coils like crazy. A new universal six volt coil is good for about 200 miles, before it begins to fail. When it starts to go bad, the car becomes hard to start when hot. Once the coil cools down, it starts and runs fine. Eventually, I will have to replace the coil, and then everything is fine for another 200 miles.

The coils I buy do not require external resistors. The points are new and the dwell is set to 33 degrees. Any suggestions on what is cooking my coils?

Is it possible that your coil is not grounded properly. Is it loose in it's clamp or is it bolted to a painted surface. A resistor cuts twelve volts down so that your points don't burn, so there is never any reason for a resistor with six volts. The ignition timing has nothing to do with you coil. If you are getting your coils from the same place I suppose it is possible for them to have a bad batch. I worked in a GM dealership for 1 years and have seen a brand new coil fail like yours but never a second one. We once had a bad batch (several dozen)of condensers so I suppose it could be a faulty batch of coils.

Guest frazer51

What you might want to try is to install an external resister on the wire from the switch to the coil. If it starts and runs give it a try. What have you got to lose? Maybe a trip to the parts store for another coil.:D

Guest frazer51

A lot of cars are manufactured that as you start them {either 6 or 12 volt cars}they by pass the resister and send 6 or 12 volts directly to the coil for start up. After start up it reverts and goes through the resister for running. Is that what yours does?

12 volt ignition systems have a resistor wired into the primary circuit. When the key is in the start position the resistor is bypassed so that the points and coil recieve 12 volts (making a hotter spark). As soon as you let the key off when the engine has started the primary circuit now goes throught the resistor cutting the voltage ti 8 to 10 volts depending on the specific system. This prolongs the life of the points. A resistor is NOT needed or used on a 6 volt system.

Guest frazer51

What was that small coiled wire thing that the early ford V8s had mounted up under the dash on the firewall? Ford had a 6 volt system back then. If you would by pass this item your coil would have a melt down right into the dist.