Help

Guest la162008

Guest la162008

Ok. If you search through I have parts for sale for a 1953 Buick. I'm selling these part so I could put what I get for them back into my Roadmaster. Here is my prob. I'm not getting a spark. I changed the coil, alligned the pionts and changed the condencers. After doing all that, I'm getting a small spark but not enough. The motors turning but nothing to fire. All main components are changed. Whats next. Very frustrated. Thank you.

Guest shadetree77

Just a long shot, but check the wire that comes off the negative post of the coil and goes into the distributor. Make sure all the contacts are clean and absolutely NO part of the wire is bare and touching anything metal. On mine, the wire was bare on the inside of the distributor and it was grounding out on the metal plate in there causing my car not to start. You couldn't see the bare spot on the wire from above and it took me FOREVER to figure that one out. I just realized you are working on a '53 Roadmaster. Yours should have the V8 and it may be different than my straight eight but worth a look I guess. Also, I have heard from other early Buick V8 guys that the coil resistor (a white ceramic block usually mounted on the firewall) goes bad quite often. That's another thing to check. Good luck!

P.S. Have you started a thread about this on the Buick Section of the site? May get more responses.

post-75106-143139175955_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)

Are you getting the weak spark when you are cranking the engine over with the starter motor? How is the spark if you open an close the points without cranking the engine? A weak battery (or bad coil) could be the issue if the spark is weak while you're cranking it over, but strong without the starter being engaged.

Guest Foggy norm

Hey la162008, any luck?, how's it going? I had the same thing on a 39 V8 Cad., bare wire in the distributor. Don't leave "us" hanging.....