Radiators

• 3 weeks later...

AC-Delco has some updated composite radiators for several vehicles. The one I got for my '77 Camaro is a drop is replacement for the much heavier 3-core Modine that was in it. Only had to carefully modify the trans cooler lines for the larger in-tank trans cooler. Works great and comes with the hose adapters and everything for a drop in replacement. At the time, I could sell them (the ones to fit 2nd gen Camaros) for $150.00 and make a reasonable profit, but they might be a little higher now. Check the AC-Delco website.<P>Griffin is a good product, for sure, but they can be a little pricey sometimes. <P>Enjoy!<BR>NTX5467

Griffin can supply you with a radiator, sometimes the wait is a little long and they are not cheap radiators. I would just order a Be-Cool Aluminum radiator from Jegs or Summit Racing catalogs. Part # 134-66062, 659.99 (Jegs) That is a drop in radiator specific for the 86-87 GN. Not cheap because of the integral oil and tranny coolers. Hope that helps.<BR> Larry

Thanks for the info from everyone. Ideally I would like to put in an aluminum radiator. I think the AC delco radiator for this car is made of copper. The aluminum radiator that is a direct fit from Jegs sounds like a good possibility unless it is extremely expensive.

Currious, and maybe confused here. But AC-Delco units are Copper; Jegs, Summit, Griffen are Aluminum. Why would you want a Aluminum unit instead of Copper? Copper has better thermal properties vs. Aluminum. Just currious....<P>Scott

The radiator I referred to is what AC-Delco calls "upgrade" radiatiors that are drop-in replacements for the previous all copper radiators but are of the more efficient (and about 1/2 the weight) composite radiators as the new vehicles use. A high efficiency aluminum core with the composite side tanks.<P>Griffin is sort of an industry icon, but the price seems a little too high to me in many cases. Not to say they aren't worth it or that they are not a quality product by any means, though.<P>NTX5467

The Old Guy is right on, Howe Racing ( McCulloch Fabricating ) Beaverton, Mi. just built an aluminum radiator for my 55 special with a 455. Nice job and reasonable price, plus Brian McCulloch was very easy to work with.<P>( Brian builds the radiators for Howe Racing )<p>[ 04-06-2002: Message edited by: Uncle Pete ]