'72 GS 350 to 455 swap

I'm picking up a 455 engine tomorrow and I'm going to use it to replace the 350 in my '72 GS. Does anyone know which brackets, etc I might need from the 455, and what will directly bolt on from the 350? I know the tranny and motor mounts will work, but I need to know about the alternator, power steering and A/C. Also, what cam do you guys think I should use in the 455 with 9.5:1 compression, 3.73 rear gears and a 2800 stall converter? I was thinking stock GS455 cam, but I would also like to do 12s in the 1/4 with this car. Thanks! smile.gif" border="0

Guest Scott Marencic

The only bracket I don't know about is the upper AC bracket, the Alt. and PS pump brackets fit fine. Get new motor mounts and get new frame pad mounts from TA.<P>Another suggestion on the cam, is the Straightline Performance 226/238.... Low end torque and throttle response is unreal, and pulls hard on top end to boot! We had the car on a chassis dyno this past weekend, the dyno sheet is here -> <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/ldposse" TARGET=_blank>www.geocities.com/ldposse</A> <P>Max 321.4 RWHP, 425.3 RWTQ, converted to flywheel #'s it would be 385-400 HP and 510-530TQ. To get that cam, email sbrown@racemufflers.com<P>Good luck on your buildup!

Thanks for the info! I am going to go milder, with only 8.5:1 compression, .030 overbore and a stock GS cam for now. I'm backing her up with a TH350 with a 2800 stall converter and 3.73s. I just ran into a new problem though...the block I have is no good so I have to find a new one. I picked up a complete '71 motor, but it turns out the cam was snapped and damaged the rear cam bearing hole. I only paid $25 for the whole engine, with the manifolds, brackets, and all accessories still on it so I can't complain. Now it's time to start searching for a used block....

Guest Scott Marencic

I don't know exactly where Union, NJ is, but if you're close to PA, I would recommend Harry's U Pull it in East Hazelton. It's supposedly the world's largest pick-your-part junkyard. I got my 455 core there out of a '72 Electa 225 for $89.95!!! I even put it on the stand when I got home, put in a little gas, kicked over the starter, and it fired right up!! I've seen various 455's there over the past several years I've been going there, I just wish I could give them all a home!<P>Their website is <A HREF="http://www.wegotused.com" TARGET=_blank>www.wegotused.com</A> <P>Good luck!

I'm no stranger to Harry's...I've been going out there for years, but I injured my back at work and I'm still not quite up to all the under/over work pulling a motor out there. Plus it's been toooo cold out that way lately. If I don't find anything in the next 2 weeks I'll consider it my last resort. Thanks for the reply though!

Hey Scott, that 455 you pulled from the 225, would that have been 1 - 1 1/2 years ago? Was it a goldish 4 door and you put the hood on the roof? I was at Harry's the fall before last and I passed the 225 I describe. It had no engine and rear end was gone, but the rear coils were left which I grabbed just to have as spares. I think I grabbed a hubcap or two also from that car. That was a good day. It was cheap tire/wheel day and I grabbed a bunch of road wheels for nothing.<P>Zach

Guest Scott Marencic

That's the one!! I picked it up Jan. 01, froze my a$$ off too! The rear was already gone when I got to it, with the springs laying under the car... I can't imagine why that car was in there, it was still inspected when I got to it, and there was nothing wrong with the motor... It was a hacked combo tho... I thought I was getting a '72 motor.. Turned out to be a '76 motor!! It even had a mis-matched set of heads on it... frown.gif" border="0<P>BTW, did ya check out my tranny prop job? An old tire and a seat cushion grin.gif" border="0 And that was me who put the hood on the roof, I figured if I left it on the ground, it'd be finished, maybe this way some enthusiast would rescue it.... I found a few skylarks in there in the "old cars" section, several 4 doors, and down by the crusher and gas tank storage area, there's a teal-colored 2 door, pretty beat, no wheels, it's sitting on its frame.. I didn't go in it tho when I was there back in the summer, it was swarming with bees.. I'm goin back soon, I'll have to check it when the weather is cold.<p>[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Scott Marencic ]