Engine Cradle (sub-frame) repair.

Machiner 55

With all of the discussion regarding the body isolators and control arm repair, has anyone ever repaired the holes through which the control arm struts are connected? In the attached photos you can see that those areas are weakening by rusting away.

In advance, thanks for any suggestions. (All suggestions except "scrap it".) Photos of previous repairs would be great.

post-67519-143139163304_thumb.jpg

I just noticed that, even though the frame is labeled properly, the picture order is not.

L.H. is the drivers side and R.H. is the passenger side.

post-67519-1431391633_thumb.jpg

Edited by Machiner 55
Explain photo orientation . (see edit history)

Guest 89 Maui

I am replacing my rear suspension, due to my original was heavily rusted. Upon cleaning my replacement, I found that the drivers side strut tower was rusted badly and the mounting hole for the strut was eaten away by rust. I called a local welding shop and the first thing they said is they do not weld on any part on a car. I told them that my rear suspension was not on the car and I tood the rear suspension to their shop and he is cutting out the rust on the strut tower and welding in a new piece to match the passengers side.

I mentioned this because I am not sure how the cradle is attached to the frame (bolted or welded), if it's bolted then the cradle can be removed and they can replace the rusted hole with a new metal welded onto the cradle. I was charged $150 for my replacement and I will now have a solid strut tower.

For what it's worth.

Woody

Daniel and Woody,

Thanks for responding to this post.

Daniel, this sub-frame came from a car that is no longer of this earth (at least not in it's original form). I dismantled an '88 and this is one of the parts, among a thousand others, I thought I'd refurbish. At some point I will post some photos of the carcass and it's being carried away to it's final resting place.

(I also need to get with the board moderator and get my moniker changed.) I'd also like to do as some on this board have done. That is, build up the frame assembly with new isolators, mounts, engine and transmission etc. as I think you once did. Buying new is out of the question as I am a poor, but honest working man.

Woody, this frame has been removed from the car and is currently leaning against my garage wall, much to my wife's dismay. Yesterday I took it to the local car wash to try and clean it up a bit. What I really want to do is perform the welding work myself but I need to see what the holes look like when it first came out of the fab. shop in Lansing. Also, if on the off chance someone has design drawings with dimensions, that would be even better still.

The L.H. side looks like there is a hole in the frame with another piece of steel welded in behind it which may have originally had a fluted hole. The R.H. side, well...

Getting late, gotta head off to work another 12 hr. shift.

John F.