1980 Mercedes 450SL convertible. Anyone own one?

Guest BJM

1980 Used Mercedes-Benz 450SL Convertible at Gullwing Motor Cars Inc. Serving Astoria, NY, IID 8917999

I am interested in purchasing this car. I always liked them but they were too much money for me. This one shows 103,000 miles and except for the seats, appears pretty decent. I am looking for owner comments or if you used to own one or know someone who did/does own one. Comments like mechanical issues or problems, good qualities. thanks

Bryan, while I have a 560 SL - it is one of the "107 chassis" series and I am pretty familliar with these cars. I see the car is no longer on Gullwing's relatively quick changing inventory page - congrats if you did buy it, otherwise I would happilly help you find another. (Much better choice than the Jensen Healey you were musing over... :D )

PM me for a lot of detail if you want it, but in short here are 3 bits of advice:

Buy the best example you can afford/find. Repair/restoration costs are not quite as bad as the hype, but not the cheapest car to work on either. This rule applies to most cars, some more than others, and I would put these in the "more than others" category.

Aside from usual issues, timing chains and subframe on the pre-560 cars are big issues. MB will actually still repair a 450 SL subframe as it has a weakness that has been identified for years.

Desirability:

Early 450 SLs due to being first in the series, small bumpers.

Mid-late 70s - some issues such as location of catalytic converters, etc. make them less desirable and a tad more trouble prone.

Last years for 450 SL - '79 - '80 better as they represent the best refinements of the iron block 450 SL series.

'81 - -83 380 SL, smaller aluminum V-8, single row timing chain a weakness.

'84 - '85 380 Sl, a better bet due to MB moving to a double row chain arrangement. Still the lowest HP of the series.

'86 - '89 560 SL, 227 HP, subframe issues fixed. Generally considered most desirable along with the very first 450 SLs. Many conveniences with the vintage look. '88 - '89 third brakelight placement a bit less ackward.

FWIW we did some basic sorting, and a real good clean up, and have logged 3,000 miles on ours this season, a real fun, comfortable car to drive. Thought I would be more or less anonymous in it but actually it draws a lot of attention.

F40 (Wayne Carini's place) has a nice 450 ready to go for less than $10K.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Steve

Thanks. that does help. Well, because I am a "generalist" I typically look for great cars that can deliver on the collector car fun quotient. I don't know every car, but my mind reads bits and pieces, I see cars and of course I recognize that Mercedes are great cars overall. This 450SL looked like a good value to me and perhaps someone has grabbed it. It had 104,000 miles so that's low miles to me and should have delivered many more years of fun.

It had one thing going against it that I did not mind. It was a "burnt or sienna orange" color with tan interior.

To answer your question, I am not seriously looking for a 450 SL but I might now. I checked out what was available in this months Hemmings and now check on my Craigs List searches.

I like the small V8. I have muscle cars, I don't need another go fast car. I just purchased a 1990 Buick Reatta convertible and it gets 28 mpg. I would expect a well tuned 450SL to get 20-22 in normal driving. It's more about getting there then how fast I get there.

To clarify, in this era of cars, I could go for a Jaguar XJS 12 cylinder convertible (or coupe), a Porsche, even a SAAB convertible. Don't really look at BMW's. As with the Peugout project I asked about under FRENCH, I learn a lot. People recommended a non buy on the Peugout and I listened.

Now, I don't need another project so the above noted (now removed) 1980 450SL was a driver that I could enjoy while maintaining and improving. Like the Reatta convertible. Hope that helps explain my interest. When I look through Gullwing or Beverly Hills Car Club or others I am not drawn to the normal cars.

For instance, the Beverly Hills site had a mid 70's Rolls Royce that I thought was pretty sweet, because it was a 4 door, they only wanted about $7000 for it. Since it's not my daily driver and I would never rely on it, I think it would be fun to own it, here in central Iowa where people know what a Rolsl Royce is but we never see them. Maybe once a year some rich guy brings his Corniche out.

So that explains my initial interest. I do think I am going to Amazon next to see if I can purchase a Mercedes book or two that covers these years. I love the "Pagodas" but unless it's a messed up project, I can't afford one. And the later Mercedes convertibles offer great values now too but also more headaches, wouldn't you agree? DOHC V6's and all the electronic gee-gaws. The 450SL appealed to me because it's a classic iconic look, timeless, without being too modern and complicated. Just my thoughts-

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Yes, I kind of like the XJS also, but was concerned about Jag reliability. Your 20 - 22 MPG estimate may be optomistic, to be honest - except the 280 - 300 six cylinders which are around but not in nearly the numbers of the 450 - 380 - 560 V-8 cars expect mid teens for MPG. My SL however, accelarates almost as fast as my '71 Corvette did, the 380s are not that fast, but any of them would make for great comfortable cruising.

I dropped you my contact info via PM, if you do have any more questions.

PS - they say there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes, well, I bet a $7K Rolls in project shape could prove that saying wrong - I understand the brakes are a very complicated arrangement in that era, and a brake service runs around $5,000!!! OUCH! I like the older Bentley and RR cars, which I understand are not quite as ridiculas in terms of complexity/expense.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Yes, I will probably pass on the Rolls, but did order 2 Mercedes books covering the SL's last night. There was one I really wanted but was $41, so may have to wait. I bought a couple of buyers guides. I am at a tough point in that my collection has changed directions so many times over the last 20 years I don't want to start all over again. By that I mean, it would be really easy to buy a 450 or even a 560, then a 190-230 project. My issue now is 100% space. I have the funds, I suppose, to own 20 cars, but the space for 4-5. My 48 Packard Custom 8 and 49 New Yorker are stored off site, on an acreage awaiting the restoration shop.

3 car garage is full with one collecto car outside. Locally there are 2 really nice driver early 70's Triumph TR6's for about $6000-$7000 apiece, seperate owners even. One is dark blue, the other green I believe. Boy would I love to own them. I need to stop browsing, which led me to the 450SL!

Grpwing up seeing the SL's - especially in Houston Texas from about 1990-94 I remember they were seen often in the nicer neighborhoods - I always wanted one. I think they are better then the older 190-230SL's and the complicated replacements in the 2000's.

Checked Hemmings closely last night and there seems to be a nice assortment available.

There are lots of "107" chassis cars out there. A very low mileage example can easilly run into the 20s or more but there are plenty of decent cars under $10K out there, likely they will either need some mechanical or cosmetic attention, but nothing overwhelming if you shop carefully. Parts for the earlier Pagodas and 190 Sls are more expensive. These are well supported by both MB and several parts houses, and prices are typical - not outrageous.

The buyer's guides and MB forums are a great resource. We like the older SLs also, but are having fun with this one right now... :)

This might be a case where I prefer the less desirable models. I like the Pagodas but the newer 450 and 560SL's seem more "fleshed out" or better designed and substantial. I would not go out of my way for a Pagoda. Can't wait to get the books.