1985 Riviera dash mounting

Guest smittykid

Guest smittykid

Newbie here. I just purchased a 1985 Riviera. The dashboard is loose on the passenger side of the car. The guy I bought the car from said the former owner had the heat/ac controls worked on & the mechanic didn't install a mounting bolt. Is there a diagram somewhere out there that shows a schematic of the dash mounting procedure. It doesn't rattle too bad, but it's a bear closing the glove box door. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Smitty

Smitty,

Is the entire dash board loose or just the panels on the front? Difficulty closing the glove box door is common on these cars and is probably not related to the loose dash. There's a remedy for the glove box door. After you reply about my first question, we can discuss a fix for the glove box.

Ed

Smitty

What state you in? I have pictures of a dash removal i have taken out a couple dashes. could be the cause of the glove box but like Ed said there is a known issue with them. There is three bolts that hold the dash in place. send me a PM

Smitty,

Is the entire dash board loose or just the panels on the front? Difficulty closing the glove box door is common on these cars and is probably not related to the loose dash. There's a remedy for the glove box door. After you reply about my first question, we can discuss a fix for the glove box.

Ed

Guest smittykid

Just the right side of the dash is loose. The dash panels themseves are ok. The latch on the glovebox door is ok(for now) - it just makes it hard to close because the dash is so loose on that side. I would like to know your cure for the latch on the glove box. Thanks a million, Smitty

Smitty,

A quick fix for the glove box is to 1) remove the liner so you can get to the latching mechanism. 2) cut a block of wood to the size of a 9V battery. 3) wedge the block of wood between the latching mechanism and the bottom of the dash. The mechanism tends to flex because it's attached to a piece of plastic. Wedging the block of wood between the two gets rid of the flex. Once the flex is gone, the door is much easier to close. Now that the door closes more easily, you can take an allen wrench and adjust the latching mechanism so that the door closes flush with the rest of the dash.

While the liner is out, perhaps you can see where the dash is bolted to the body.

Ed

OK here are ALL the bolts that hold the dash in place. You can repeat the process for the driver side

1. Remove the defroster vent on the top right side of the dash. There are two small Phillips screws in each corner. Check that those are not missing or stripped. See picture 1post-53377-143139153411_thumb.jpg
  2. Open passenger door and check the side dash screw. Make sure it is in place or not stripped. See picture 2
  3. Remove the black panels on the bottom of the dash, remove the glove box liner carful to move wires out of your way and reach in there and check the screw see picture 3 and 4. To tighten or adjust this bolt you will have to get at it from under the dash.

post-53377-14313915339_thumb.jpg

post-53377-143139153394_thumb.jpg

post-53377-143139153397_thumb.jpg

Guest smittykid

Problem solved!! Thanks to everyone! As it turns out, it was the 2 screws in the defroster vent. The screw on the right wasn't even in the bracket. Rivieraman's pics were a great help. Now I can sleep at night. Thanks again, Smitty