1973 New member

Guest 73 Riviera

Guest 73 Riviera

post-87852-143139150079_thumb.jpg My 1973 Riviera. New to the Forum. Just joined RoA. Plan to be in the Franklin TN meet on Sept 8th.

Looking for a wiper motor arm. It is a flat piece that connects to the back of the motor and joins to the wiper transmission. Stupid me, pulled the old broken motor and crank arm, ordered a new motor, chunked the old, and then realized it does not come with a crank. I bet Cardone has boxes of them laying around from people sending them in with the motor. I have been told that any 1971-75 full size GM used the same crank arm and it will work. So, also, looking for any U-Picks around middle tennessee, SW kentucky or really anywhere within 300 miles of Nashville. This is my 2nd Gold 73 Riviera. My first was in1980-83 a true GS/Stage 1 that I did not realize how rare it was. Who did in 1980? Bought from the General manager of the Buick dealership in Milledgeville, GA. It had every option including power antenna, right side mirror, appearance package with chrome valve covers, (and contrary to the article on RoA, it did have a metalic embossed sticker on the chrome air breather that said Stage 1.) It was gold with the neutral interior, turning lights, light indicators, speed alert, trunk release, rear defogger, heavy duty rad., all GS options, f/r speakers, about the only thing it did not have were the short console, tow package, tape player, and sun roof. 1983 I was in Va. beach, getting ready to take orders overseas with the Navy and took a road trip to D.C. On the trip home the head gaskets blew and the engine block cracked. Limped into Damn Neck, called for a tow. Mechanic said $1500 to fix or $300 for the body. 25 years later and I still have dreams about having another. So here I am. It is a base model and I am thinking of cloning it to the specs as above. Course, can't put a S1 engine or positrac rear in or the other tough options but may go for appearances only. Course I'd declare it a clone but I doubt I'd sell it. My daughter (16) loves it! See you in Franklin, TN on Sept. 8.

Welcome and good luck with your Riv. If you go to Used Auto Parts For Less - Pull-A-Part and select locations you will find they have one in Memphis, Nashville, and Knoxville. You can do a search by location, manufacturer and model. Once you have done that can then select multiple locations and models LeSabre, Centurion, Electra etc. They charge $2 to get in and you pull your own parts. Good prices too.

Guest 73 Riviera

Thanks Don,

These places only go back to 1984 per their web site. As I keep hearing from all the old time junk men. "Bout 1999-2003, price of steel went way up. It was better to sell our old heavy steel stock for scrap than to try and sell a part off of em here and there. Plus, the gov't (local/state) made us buy all this environmental protection insurance to make sure we were not polluting the aquafer when we dumped an old car on the lot, then, liability insurance went up and it don't pay to let people on your lot to pull their own. Can't afford to get sued." This is what has killed the good old junk yard. Used to I'd take a six pack (I was 16 in 78 and could buy beer in GA!) to Mr. Mxxx down in Deepstep, GA and so long as I did not blow something up, I was free to pick all day. (Almost had a full body a 1974 AMX at one point.) I did find a place in Denton Tx that has 4-5 boats but they order pull and are very steep. Also, saw a post on the boat-tail forum that a fellow over in MO. knows where there are 3 boats just sitting there going to rust. (sob!) Now, they are worth more in parts. If you have any old big 3 Detroit steel, you are sitting on a gold mine. And, Kxxxx at CARS could sell me the transmission links for the wipers OR the motor, but not that 4" piece of steel that goes between the two. Ugg Why did I throw it away!!

I am guessing that the crank arm is generic over a wide range of years and models of GM cars and trucks. Her in Georgia there are three Pull-a-Part yards and two of them have old car specific areas with 1970 and older cars. These cars stay longer than the normal life span of a car there because someone is always wanting a piece of sheet metal so they can make a bit more money. I needed a patch panel for the bottom of the front fenders for my 65 Riviera so with cordless recip saw I got both sides of the rear quarters in front of the rear wheels. Out of curiosity I went on Pull-a-Part's website for Nashville and they have a 1959 Buick Electra listed there and they also have a 1974 Monte Carlo. I have found on occasion that they have a cars listed as the wrong year. They said they had a 1962 Buick Le Sabre when it really was a 1968. The whole yard is gravel and they weld a wheel vertical to a wheel laying horizontal and place four of those under a car so it is safe to get under the car. A couple of us go there on occasion just to see what treasures we can find.

Welcome to the forum and ROA! That was a tough luck story on the GS Stage 1. Yes these were just still used cars back in the early 80s and few realized the rarity. Afterall is wasn't a GTO , Chevelle, etc. Every once in awhile a legit 73 GS Stage 1 shows up for sale. I know an ROA member in Pittsburgh who has a gold one but haven't seen the car or the owner in many years.

If when you get your Riview you should be able to find your part through the classifieds and/or member dealers.

Happy Rivving!