VIN Numbers

Guest Bskey

I was wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what the VIN number means? I have a 1919 Dodge Brothers touring car. I also have a Master Parts Price List book for Dodge Brothers, it states that 420000 series numbers were produced Dec. 22, 1919..........what else does the VIN number tell me for this particular car?

The series number or VIN for your car will be found stamped on the chassis and should match the number in the original registration document. You can identify exactly when your car was built by looking it up on the table in the parts book.

Other than enabling the authorities to keep track of vehicles, I am not sure that I can be of any more help.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

It depends where in the world you are. Here in the US the "VIN" means Vehicle Identification Number. That nomenclature was not used as such until about 1969. Vehicles "back in the day" had "Serial Numbers", "Engine Numbers", and "Body Numbers". The Serial Numbers OR Engine Numbers were used for titling and registration purposes depending on the laws in the State where the vehicle was first delivered from the factory.

Sounds like you are asking about the Serial Number in your post. A number in the 420,000 series for Dodge in the 1919 to 1920 era indicated a 1919-1920 "Series 20" 4 cylinder. The cars in this time period had a mid summer model year change. "Series 20" cars started with the Serial Number of 359,301 and continued to 500,160. My book has no information on Engine Numbers during that time period. The Serial Numbers for Dodge were not "coded" or mean anything in particular (except used as a sequential series of manufacture number) until 1959.

Many States at the time would title a car as the year it was first sold. So a car actually manufactured in 1919 could be titled as a 1920 if it was first sold in 1920. That was quite common until even into the 50's.

Welcome aboard the Forum! :)

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

May I offer my apologies for incorrectly stating that the Dodge Brothers Book of Information had a table of serial numbers. As 1936D2 quite rightly pointed out, this is not correct and I have ammended my post. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Ray.

May I offer my apologies for incorrectly stating that the Dodge Brothers Book of Information had a table of serial numbers. As 1936D2 quite rightly pointed out, this is not correct and I have ammended my post. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Ray.

Not that I see where D-2 corrected you on anything but the Dodge Brothers book of information in many cases depending on publication code/dates does carry a table of serial numbers and corresponding production dates.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Recently, I was fortunate in being able to buy a good 'Dodge Brothers Book of Information' - 18th edition June 1926. I thought I had seen a serial number table there but I was mistaken. The record of car production is actually in both the parts book and the Mechanics Instruction Manual. When 1936 D2 said he could find no record of 'engine' numbers in his book, that made me check out my own book. I could find no record of either engine numbers - which I didn't expect to find anyway - or car/serial numbers and dates. Engine numbers for my somewhat later period of 1926, should be in the region of 70,000 ahead of the serial number. Fortunately for me, using this method I have established that my car has it's original engine - but alas, no documentation survives.

I am grateful for your correction, Jason as there are obviously a number of different 'books of Information' - some with production records in them and others, for some reason, without.

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Recently, I was fortunate in being able to buy a good 'Dodge Brothers Book of Information' - 18th edition June 1926. I thought I had seen a serial number table there but I was mistaken. The record of car production is actually in both the parts book and the Mechanics Instruction Manual. When 1936 D2 said he could find no record of 'engine' numbers in his book, that made me check out my own book. I could find no record of either engine numbers - which I didn't expect to find anyway - or car/serial numbers and dates. Engine numbers for my somewhat later period of 1926, should be in the region of 70,000 ahead of the serial number. Fortunately for me, using this method I have established that my car has it's original engine - but alas, no documentation survives.

I am grateful for your correction, Jason as there are obviously a number of different 'books of Information' - some with production records in them and others, for some reason, without.

Ray.

Had to find it Ray but if you would like get yourself a November 1926 Twenty-First edition Book of information and you will see the chart you are looking for.

It depends as mentioned on the edition

Like always, I jumped in and bought the 18th edition straight away because it was 1926 and I didn't want to loose it. I probably paid a lot for it but it did have the large lube chart which I am delighted with and will frame. I probably won't buy another book as I have everything I need right now, but thanks anyway.

Ray.