Ignition problem on my 62 Buick skylark

Guest 62buick

Guest 62buick

I'm having an ignition problem with my 62 Buick. It has a "AC", "Lock" and "On" positions. Somewhere in between Lock and AC it tries to start the car the same way it'd start if it was on the "ON" position. I'm not sure it's a wiring issue or something is going on with the ignition casing.

Anyone has experience this before?

Thanks

Guest pfloro

62buick:

I haven't experienced this situation but can offer a way to isolate the problem...

First, disconnect the negative battery cable (be safe)!

At the switch, identify the wire which connects to the starter circuit as well as the 12V 'feed' wire to the switch.

Disconnect all wires from the switch. Wire up a test light & battery in series (flashlight bulb & 1 1/2 volt battery is fine)

and connect it between the starter prong & 'feed' prong on the switch. The light should only glow in the 'Start' position.

If it glows between the 'Lock' & 'ACC' position, the switch is bad. If not, then it's wiring related (but I can't imagine how).

Do you have a electrical wiring diagram for this car? This can be a very big help while wearing your Sherlock Holmes hat...

Paul

Guest 62buick

Thanks Paul,

I am going to investigate some more this weekend. Unfortunately I don't have the electrical wiring diagram for this car. I wish I did.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers

Unfortunately I don't have the electrical wiring diagram for this car. I wish I did.

62buick, wiring diagrams are fairly easy to find online. Google "1962 Buick wiring diagram" and you will probably come up with one that can be downloaded or printed.