My next question

Guest MidTNDawg

Doug

Glad to see you are back at it. A blessing indeed. When I replaced my glass I took them to Harmon Glass in Des Moines, IA. Commercial places which replace broken glass on our modern cars also cut flat safety glass for our vehicles. They have the tape and expertise. I would label each window glass and frame front and back. Probably does not matter on the windshield but the side windows do have a front and back. The original glass was not safety glass.

At the very least do the windshield.

Paul

Guest MidTNDawg

Paul, thanks and yes it is a blessing. Actually all of my glass is ok. I need to replace the rubber around the windshield. How do I remove the windshield? I haven't dug in yet but I do not readily see what needs to be done. And a previous owner apparently installed safety glass so I don't have that as a to-do.

Hi Doug, from your member photo it is hard to tell what year your car is but if mid-twenties a touring car windshield is easy to remove by first loosening the windshield stanchion nuts which are located under the dash on each side. You don't need to take them all of the way off. Then undo the acorn nut at each end of the upper (or lower) windshield and carefully remove the washers, spring, ball bearings, etc. (and note how it should go back together). Loosen the acorn nuts on the other half of windshield. What you're after is enough freedom of movement of the stanchions so you can slide the windshield to one side to the window frame stud on opposite side can escape from the stanchion hole. The just carefully lift the frame out. I haven't done the T-rubber yet but will be soon. I noticed there is an enlarged opening in the T-rubber groove on one side of the frame and my guess is this is where you insert the T. I''m thinking maybe WD-40 or silicone spray might be helpful in lubricating things so it can easily be pushed down the groove. I'll post my experience when I get to it. If you get there first, please let us know how it goes.