I Lucked Out With my AC Problem

ol' yeller

When I bought my recent 90 vert, it was advertised as "The AC only needs a charge". Having been the $1,000 victim of this before, I negotiated a substantial discount because it wasn't working. I took it in yesterday to have it checked out. First there was a sticker on the core support that stated the system was converted to R134a in 2003. Among the many receipts I got with the car was a recharge in 2006. My mechanic said it was almost completely out of refrigerant. He evacuated the system, checked for leaks (found none) tightened up a connection at the schrader valve on the LP side and refilled the system with R134a and added a dye to help spot any leakage. So far there are no leaks and it blows cold! He surmises that as the car sat for long periods maybe some seals dried out and lost the refrigerant but resealed upon the recharge as they definitely are not leaking now. He thinks if I drive the car regularly, it may be just fine. So far, I was figuring $1,000, and the bill was only $150! I think this Reatta likes me!

Edited by ol' yeller
fat fingers on the keyboard (see edit history)

Guest Corvanti

cool deal!!! :rolleyes:

in the "old days" before a/c's would kick in for defrosters, we always ran the a/c a few times during the winter to prevent this.

with vehicles spending most of the winter in the garage/storage, not only should you start it occasionally, but turn the a/c on. also important is to get it out of the garage, on a halfway decent day, to get the fluids, suspension and tires, etc. a little workout! :)