1947 76c body mounts ...

bobcanuck

The car I am working on has no body mounts, per se ... all there are are rubber "shims" at every mounting point. I've searched Steele, Bob's etc without gaining any understanding of what I require. I DO understand that there are 24 mounting points - 20 of which appear to be common/same. Please correct me if I am wrong - it looks like I'll need 20 pieces with a steel core, 10 round pieces without as well as 10 more square pices without the steel core. It would appear that the front mounting points are dealt with differently ... ie tire carcass shim(s) etc etc.

Any/all suggestions, referances, ideas would be much appreciated.

ciao,

Bob

Bob,

This is correct. I'll have to see if I can get out my shop manual and scan the page. It's still hard to understand exactly what the pieces are and where they belong. I just ordered "alot" of each and installed/shimmed until the body was setting as level as possible and door gaps are correct. If the car you are working on has everything in place, you should just be able to instal the replacement rubber shims at each location and have the car just about where it should be. I know that mine was confusing because I had nothing to go off of, only the manual.

The car I am working on has no body mounts, per se ... all there are are rubber "shims" at every mounting point. I've searched Steele, Bob's etc without gaining any understanding of what I require. I DO understand that there are 24 mounting points - 20 of which appear to be common/same. Please correct me if I am wrong - it looks like I'll need 20 pieces with a steel core, 10 round pieces without as well as 10 more square pices without the steel core. It would appear that the front mounting points are dealt with differently ... ie tire carcass shim(s) etc etc.

Any/all suggestions, referances, ideas would be much appreciated.

ciao,

Bob

Late 1940's through at least 1954 Buicks (could be more, earlier & later years) closed car body mounts were different than open car body mounts. Closed cars use rubber body mountings plus a metal shim. Open car convertibles used what they call a COMPOSITE SHIM mount, all 24 of them, inboard and outboard, consisting of a 2.25" square tire-cord-like fabric along with a metal shim that varied in thickness. The OEM tire-cord-like fabric thickness on my 1953 convertible varied from a maximum .3125" (5/16") to a squished .1875" (3/16") thickness when I removed the body from the frame. It's a good idea to number and note the location and total thickness of each mount for future reference when removing a body from the frame.

Bob's & Steele sell them for approx. $10 each. You see a lot of EPAY ads that sell a "rubber universal mount" . . . . . not OEM correct for some open cars . . . . . they (or car owners) don't know or care that there is a difference between open and closed car body mounts. They just want the $$, owners sometime go the cheaper route.

Al Mack

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"