Problem accellerating

jonlabree

This is a strange occurance, during hard accelleration my engine breaks up. If feels like it is shutting off. I belive it is electrical as the gauges on my dash loose their color lock. ( I have seven color gauges and they are set on green, like the dash.) This only happens on hard excelleration and no other time. I am going to change out my "Accel" coils for the stock one to see if that helps. But other than that I am stumped.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

Jon..

Guest Mc_Reatta

I'd be checking the fuel pressure first thing to eliminate it before spending time on the ignition. Sounds like what I just went thru on one of mine. Was a weak fuel pump.

I'll post another thread with a link to a coupon for a tester in case you need one.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Do you notice any difference with temperature? MAFs and ICMs can break down from heat pretty routinely.

To truly see what's going on would take an O'scope to see what each output signal is doing as revs go up. Could be a break down of the MAF signal to the ECM and out to the injectors, or the ICM to the coils on to the plugs.

MAF would be easy to read in diagnostics. Temperature probably has less effect on it since it is cooled by incoming air and I believe any decent air intake, including stock, will use outside air. ICM/coils certainly are heat sensitive.

I suppose "breaking up" could be fuel related since each injector will affect a single cylinder (versus carbureted), but it sounds more like a classic ignition problem. I saw a post on another forum about some people experiencing misfires because of poor grounding of the heads. I had never heard of such a thing before, and they were fresh engine builds, so probably unlikely, but? Most of them were engines built using head studs rather than bolts. Adding a ground from head to block cured the problem. Daniel brings up an interesting point. Sometimes the oddest things can cause an issue. I wonder if a rattling s/c could trigger the knock sensor? Easy to watch knock/spark retard in diagnostics.

Well, just so you know, it was a bad coil. Now mind you the coils are brand new Äxcell"coils The top one in the pack was bad. I got lucky when I deciced to change them one at a time because I started at the top. Any way, Problem solved.

• 3 weeks later...