Got my sights on an -88 or -95, what to look for?

Guest Lasse

Guest Lasse

My Riv-O-Mania is getting seriously out of hand, and I'm considering the purchase of either a nice -88 T-type or a -95. I intend to drive it during the (Finnish) winter also.

What do I look for when I go see the cars? What are the typical pitfalls and weaknesses in these generations? Where do they rust? What's the most frequently failing part?

Thanks in advance.

Guest wildcat465

Watch out for rusty subframe or cradle on the 95-up. I am fighting this on mine.

I am no expert on the 88, but I know the touch screen can be problematic. The radius rods can rust and come apart making for interesting braking.

Check Reatta threads on the 88 as that those cars are fairly similar underneath.

If your go with 95-99 Riviera i would go to the 97-99 few nice changes made...... Why 1988 Riviera? 1989 Riviera is the first year of the change in style (89-93) The 89 has the same intorior of the 88. I have two 89's that i will sell. The Dimond White and sapphire Blue. I bought the blue one at a salvage auction it has 94,000 and runs and drives just bought it as a parts car for the White one. The White on is loaded with every factory option. Shoot me an e mail at buickrivieraman@gmail.com if interested both cars complete sunroofs too

I personally would go with a 97-99 for a daily driver. Over here pampered ones aren't too hard to find but probably aren't in your neck of the woods.

If I was buying either generation Riv you mentioned, I'd find a pampered, garage kept one with under 80k mi. I've seen some pristine low mileage 86-93s go really cheap over here. Fewer people have interest in owning them which makes it a great buy for those that do.

For tons of info on the last gen cars go here. Riviera Performance - Dashboard Check the Riv FAQs. Many tips for new buyers

Guest Lasse

Jason pretty much nailed the point. I would love to be able to just pick the nicest one of the dozens of Riv´s just floating around, I would buy Nathaniels -89 in a hearbeat. The problem is that there really aren´t that many to go around in here. Why the -88 and the -95? Simply because there are just those two on sale at a reasonable price near me.

There is of course always the option of buying one from across the pond and getting it shipped here, but I am very reluctant to buy a car that I can´t see live beforehand. And the shipping costs, taxes etc. will quickly add up.

So, any other raw facts on these two generations, what to be aware of?

Thanks guys.