1925 Big 6 Roadster / Duplex

I am looking at a 1925 Big 6 that is part restored, the owner describes it as a duplex phaeton, however the body is a roadster body, so I think he means it is a duplex roadster. There is currently no top attached to the car and the guy has a roadster top to go on it which he tells me is slightly earlier.

My question is, are there any differences in the body of a duplex roadster and a convertible roadster. Is it the same body which either had a hard top or a soft top fitted at the factory.

Are the windshields the same including the frame, how does the top frame fit to the body, does any one have any good pictures that I can look at?

Are there any other differences between the two bodies?

If I buy this car one thing I will require is a pair of rear fenders, does anyone have a spare one or both?

Regards

Wayne

The bodies on the Duplex roadster and the Sport roadster are entirely different. You cannot put a folding convertible top on a Duplex without lots of modifications. In addition there was no Big Six roadster made in '24. The windshield is also entirely different. I once owned an original '26 EP Sport roadster and kept a roster. I believe there were eight in various conditions. I believe I know of only one EP Duplex Roadster so it would be pretty rare. I have lots of original factory photos of both.

post-30776-143139094573_thumb.jpg

Here two photos showing the 1925-26 EP Big Six Sport Roadster and the Duplex Roadster. The EP series was produced from August 1924 thru August 1926 with only a few very minor changes. Note the difference in the windshield on the two models. I do not believe it would be feasible to make a Sport Roadster out of what was a Duplex without considerable modifications.

You mention that it comes with a top from an earlier model? Studebaker did not make a Big Six roadster in 1923-24 so am not sure what it would be from. In any event fitting it to this car would likely be a real challenge.

post-30776-14313909457_thumb.jpg

Thanks for these pictures. I am going to see the car next week and hopefully do a deal on it. The differences that I can see from the pictures you have sent are that the windshield stanchions are leaning back on the roadster and are upright on the duplex, also the roadster top has a pivot just behind the doors for the framework to fold up and down on.

When I say about the bodies being the same, I was meaning the sheet metal work, so basically the firewall, doors, fenders, dickey seat, rear quarters, hood etc. I was not meaning the top or windshield,

I could never afford an original soft top roadster and as this duplex doesn't have the actual duplex top but does come with some other roadster top frame, i thought that with a little modification it could be turned into a soft top roadster without to much trouble. It would be good if someone had a pair of windshield stanchions but I am guessing they are going to be pretty impossible to find.

The guy tells me the top frame he has was from an earlier studebaker, but this maybe either incorrect and it maybe from another 1920's roadster, he did mention it maybe slightly wider.

Of course one other option would be to make a duplex top for the car. How are they constructed? Are they timber framed or steel. Is the covering vinyl on metal or just pulled taught over the frame. Does anyone have any pictures of an original duplex top inside and out?

If I buy this car I will post some pictures next week.

Regards

Wayne

Edited by bifda (see edit history)