removal of starter from 56 plymouth L-head 6 cylinder

Guest 56savoy

Guest 56savoy

hi everyone, i am newly registered to these forums. my problem is how do i remove my starter from my 1956 plymouth savoy 6 cylinder L-head motor. it looks like i have to take the bolts out that hold the linkage in place for the gas pedal to the carb. i'm baffled and need help. every starter i have ever done was from the bottom this looks like it needs to be done from the top. these two bolts are the only ones that i see. please help with anything you can in this message. thank you in advance.

when the car died all i got was a click. well i saw that bolt for the positive cable on the solenoid get bright red. so i replaced the solenoid. now i have no click but lights and eveything works. all points to the starter in my opinion. any help is much appriciated.:confused:

Guest carlnut

Its been a long time but I think the starter has 3 bolts and of course the battery cable. It can be removed from above and is real easy. I think the bolts have a 5/8" head, but I have not had one off since about 1982.

Guest 56savoy

thanks carlnut. haven't tried to get the bolts yet. heat and time are against me. but all i see are 2. none of my books show how to remove just how to diagnos and rebuild. found out i got a friend thats father was a master mechanic for chrysler. he is going to ask him but he is getting old. hopefully he can give me the answers i am looking for. when i take it out i will probably be complaining to myself how easy it was.

Thats right, it's only 2 bolts, and its a piece of cake! My 36 has a 56 engine in it and their all the same and you will laugh when your done. Find someone who can do a rebuild on it, that's what I did, now the guts are new and it wasn't a lot of money.

Disconnect the cable off the battery (either one) before you start. Take the starter to an auto electric rebuilder and have it rebuilt. Ask around your old car friends or look in the yellow pages. Phone first to make sure they can rebuild such an old starter, most places can. Usually costs a little more than a cheap parts store starter but they use much better quality parts.

Guest 56savoy

hey steve9, thanks for the input. This thing just looks so simple it's throwing me for a loop. always had to crawl under a car to fix a starter. will let you no how it goes.