New(ish) AACA Member with a '47 Chevy

Guest OSCARFLEET

Guest OSCARFLEET

Howdy all,

My name is Daryl and I'm a married 30-something that was raised on old Chevies and long midwest winters in the garage. My Dad got me hooked and has been involved with the VCCA and AACA clubs for a long time. We're into original cars, mostly with a bowtie on them, but I've been known to stray a little bit from time to time over to the blue oval cars.

My wife & I live in Peoria, Illinois and currently working on a 1947 Chevy Fleetline Sportmaster Sedan that has pretty much been untouched until we got our hands on it. The original owner was a farmer who rarely drove the car. It was parked in 1973 and needed a ring gear, valve job, and new rubber on the tires to be drivable but otherwise was in good condition. The car still sports its original drivetrain (sans intake manifold) and has the original lacquer paint that I just wet sanded & buffed, original spare tire, and original interior that we protected with some vintage seatcovers. I've also owned a '64 Bel Air, '55 Olds Super 88, and I had 'most' of a '46 Willys CJ2A but the tub was garbage so that's a project for another day.

Just wanted to introduce myself and our old Chevy. I've been a fan of the club for years and used to borrow my Dad's AACA magazines for years. Last fall, I became a member myself and Oscar got to participate in the "Brighton Run" with the North Shore Region in Chicagoland. This was shortly after waking him up after a 34 year nap in a storage building and some minor mechanical work. We are now the 4th owners of the car and have put a lot of time & effort into making it driveable and safe. We enjoy the touring aspect of the club and hope to participate even more in the years to come.

Here's a few shots of "Oscar", our '47.

post-86604-14313908655_thumb.jpg

post-86604-143139086548_thumb.jpg

post-86604-143139086534_thumb.jpg

Future plans include a full restoration once the car gets to a point where its no longer presentable. But right now its been fun just to shine it up and drive it. Its also nice that it hasn't been apart and has all the original bits. I would leave it alone but someday it will need a restoration since there's a lot of rust in the rear fender flanges and parts of the trunk floor. The rest of the car is very solid.

Thank you for having such a good knowledge base and for letting me introduce myself. Always looking to meet some fellow car lovers.

Cheers!

post-86604-143139086513_thumb.jpg

post-86604-143139086525_thumb.jpg

post-86604-14313908653_thumb.jpg