high torque starter

rlcokc

Recently posted re my 36 starter not turning over engine fast enough to start and received several good suggestions, from simply being patient, not my strongsuit, and letting engine break in to hiding a 12 volt battery to use to start.

I'm curious as Jason with Advance Electrical Rebuilders suggested converting starter to high torque. Cost is substantial but have to admit I'm intriqued. Has anyone had starter converted to high torque and what is the result? New windings are installed and am told that this would improve operation.

Please let me know if anyone familiar with conversions and impressions.

Thanks

Rod

I have never heard of this option... I believe a standard starter already produces relatively high torque via the large size difference between the ring gear and starter gear. If you need more torque than that, you probably have significant clearance or lubrication issues.

Thanks for response. Know others have used 12 volt battery hooked directly to starter to overcome low rpm's and Advanced Electrical offers the High Torque Starter which is new windings which is supposed to increase RPMs. Expensive and want to know if anyone has experience before I jump off and have starter rebuilt.

Thanks again

Rod,

Although the chassis may be well grounded to the battery, age and corrosion may impede power flow through the chassis to the starter. I have learned that connecting a second ground cable directly to the starter mounting bolt often helps. It may be worth a try; even with a standard 12 Volt cable...

My $0.02

Guest ewing

there is a rebuilder here in winnipeg and he can install what he calls hi torque field coils and it significantly improves the 'spin' . He just did my 47 Buick starter and it is very nice to feel a robust spin as opposed to a rur... rur... rur... ( how's that for technical.?)

I think the hi torque field coils have more/ tighter windings.

Still the 6 v in all aspects.

Also consider a good clean rebuild and there is no problem ( with good ground connections!). That's how the new6 volt cars ran for years, and it was when higher compression engines started to appear that they switched to 12 volt systems.

He does work on starters and generators and gets business referrals across Canada and US.

If anyone wants he contact info .... message me and I will reply with his contact info if you want to talk to him.