401/TH400 into '58 Buick for OPEN driveshaft - rear end selection?

OK-<P>I am about to decide to do the rear end swap to convert to an open driveshaft, so I can use a 401/TH400 from a '65 riv in my '58 Special. I am not quite decided yet.<P>Which rear end and gear ratio should I be looking for? I want this swap to be indistinguishable and to look "stock" to the untrained eye; I want to match the '58 bolt pattern, hub size, wheel-to-wheel, etc.<P>Also, does anyone have a contact in Texas who has done this type of coversion before (or who could do it)? I am referring to the work I can't do, that is the welding of brackets to the frame for some control arms, and fabrication of a tranny crossmember if necessary.<P>I am assuming for now that the motor mounts would require no customization, since the engines are so similar, but I could be wrong there.<P>Don't hold back- I need all the help I can get here! I know that some of you have done this type of conversion before.<P>Again, my two obstacles here are finding a rear end, and someone who can do the welding and/or fabrication.<P>Thanks,<BR>Mark<BR>Austin, TX<p>[This message has been edited by Mark Schmerbeck (edited 01-15-2001).]

check out randy's ring and pinion. at. i forgot the website but pull up a search and it will find it for you. yhey can help you find any kind of rear end out there. along with posi units and axles along with all the good stuff.

I just put a 455 into my '56 Century. I used the rearend out of a '71 GS455. I chose this rear end after a lot of research and thought about how I was going to use the car and the performance I wanted out of it. The decision was also based on budget, which is tight for me. Anyway, this rear end worked for me because it has a similar track width and it already had a means of mounting it to the frame. All I did was fabricated some mounts to attach the triangulated four link suspension to the frame. This allowed me to use all the existing hardware on the rear end and allowed this use of the stock '56 coil springs (although you have to modify the mounts on the rear end). It doesn't sound like you're willing to do the welding work yourself. Don't be intemidated...it's easy as long as you do a lot of carefull planning. My e-mail is pedeegan@hotmail.com if you have any questions.

oldguy,<P>I think you may have mis-read, I am not going to use a 364 with the th-400, but instead will put a 401 / th-400 combo in, out of a '65 riv. (But thanks for the reminder of the necessary crank mod for using a 364 / th-400).<P>What I am concerned with right now is how to change out the rear end to use an open driveshaft. Mainly what rear end to use, and secondly how to minimize the "customization". Not that I'm against that, I just know I don't have the skills to do the welding (wish I did!).<P>Mark

Somehow I've been unregistered???<BR>Mark that sounds like a great project, glad you were sucessful in obtaining the 401, you were only a few seconds behind the other post. When you find someone to fabricate the mounts they should offer on site welding, if not they will know someone who will do it. You may already know of this site but <A HREF="http://www.cruisintimes.com" TARGET=_blank>www.cruisintimes.com</A> has a list of Lone Star Clubs. Any street rodder club should know of a good fabricator. Keep us posted,Doug ===== ===