1972 nova inline 6 no spark

Guest 72_inline6_nova

Guest 72_inline6_nova

hello everyone im fairly new to this site and am not sure if this is the correct area for this type of post but i have an issue...

i have a 1972 chevrolet nova. its a 4 door.. 250 inline 6. the issue im having is i was driving it. ran fine all day. pulled into gas station filled up with gas and when i went to re-start it and nothing.... it just cranked. after pushing it to a parking spot i checkedfor spark first as i new i had fuel i could see it being pumped into carb, checked spark nothin. i have 12 volts to the + on coil and 12volts on the - of the coil. and bo spark from the coil to distributor. what i than did was replaced the coil, and nothin so thinkin maybe o'riley gave me a bad coil i got another one and still nothin, i popped the distributor cap and put screwdriver between points and no sparking happened so i bought a new set of points and still nothing i have checked for a fuse or fusable link for the ignition system and i only found one bus style fuse replaced it and still nothing im at a loss does anone have any ideas? i ran a hot wire directly from battary to coil just incase and still nothing. anyone have any ideas suggestions anything? this is my daily driver and is startin to really **** me off. i appreciate any help i get thank u in advance :)

Guest 72_inline6_nova

tried putting a plug wire in place of coil wire just to c if it was the wire and still no spark

Guest 72_inline6_nova

i have not replaced condensor.... would that cause no spark? i thought the condensor just helped collapse the magnetic feild created by coil when the points are open. new cap and rotor and i did test plug wires there all about 5ohms.. i will throw in a condensor and c what that does. thank you for your help

The condenser may not be the cause of a no spark condition, but it's a good idea to replace both points and condenser together. A question: were the old breaker points burned bad?, if so, could be a bad condenser, or MAYBE a intermittent condition. Your right, it's suppose to protect the points when open or else the points COULD burn bad in as little as 100 miles of driving. Again. does the engine crank at all? If it does the fusable link at the starter should be good, in either case but it should be inspected for any kind melting. If melted replace with original guage wire link. Does it try to run at all? Did it have a stalliing problem before? MAYBE the ballast resister.

Guest 72_inline6_nova

pkay ill get a condensor for it aswell. and not that i noticed it never stalled alwys ran strong . the old points werent terrible just a llil burnt but i figured its cheap and easy to rule them out so i got new points and i gapped them to the standard matchbox width and than with feeler gauge to .035. i was told spec was .020-.040 so i went in the middle..yes the car cranks good and strong everytime, she doesent even try to fire. i havent been able to find the fusable link.. i been lookin for the noticable "bulge" in the wire but no luck.

• 1 month later...
Guest chevy_dude97
and bo spark from the coil to distributor. :)

how did you check spark here? Did you use a timing light or see if it sparked from the end? Is the resistor bad in front of your coil?

Also did the parts store give you the correct coil?