trani options for '57 364 nailhead

I'm trying to find out what transmissions will<BR>bolt up to my '57 364 nailhead. Obviously the<BR>Dynaflow, but what about hydro stick or hydramatic? I've heard Olds transmissions<BR>are an option, does anybody know. Thanks<BR>Dave, flatblack@earthlink.net

The ONLY trannys that bolt to that block are Buick 364,401,425 from 1957 to 1966. The crank changed in 1964 to accept a ST400 (TH400). So only a '57 - '63 Dynaflow will "bolt to the motor". You can shave off the raised area on the center of the crank, or enlarge the hole in the ST400 flex plate by about an 1/8". Next you need a bushing to install in the crank to support the smaller snout from the ST400. Then you need a ST400 Starter. But the '57 Block has a different bolt pattern so you have to make a support for the starter being the '60ish and up block has a boss that hangs off the side of the block for a starter bolt. I have a diagram for the bushing if you want it. <BR>What is this going in?<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

MARTINSR-<P>I see that you are familiar with 401's. I read on a thread awhile back that it is possible to "bolt in" a 401 engine to a 57 or 58 buick, using the 57 or 58 dynaflow. I have an opportunity to pick up a "free" 401 (from a 65 riviera) which I would like to drop into a 58 special. But after reading your post I am wondering if I can use the starter from the 401 since it's gear is probably designed to crank the flywheel (flexplate?) on a TH400.<P>Maybe someone was talking about an earlier 401 as a "bolt in"? Maybe from a 59 or 60?<P>Does anyone else know the interchangeability options here? In other words, what engines could I "bolt in" to this 58 buick using the 58 dynaflow?<P>Mark

The '65 401 can't bolt in without a crank swap. The hole in the center of the crank to support the snout is too small for the dynaflow. You could bolt in a '63 and under 401 but you would get into the starter problem. The 60ish and up (I am not sure exactly when they changed) block has that boss that hangs off the side of the block for the bolt. But now that I think of it you may be able to drill and tap a hole for the dynaflow starter which has a bolt above the starter that the ST400 motor does not. '64 to '66 401/425 is a ST400 motor, of course they also had ST300s also. The starter on a dynaflow is about two inches longer in the snout area. It has to reach back to hit the ring gear that is on the converter, where the ST400/300 starter hits the ring gear on the flex plate. <BR>So to answer your question: the only engines that will bolt into a '58 is a '57 to 60ish. 364/401. <BR><P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

The dynaflow is a fine tranny, I beat the living hell out of one in my Dads '55 F100 in high school. Your's did last about 43 YEARS!!! The problem is finding someone who can rebuild it. Most trans tech's FATHERS weren't even born when that tranny was made!<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"

The motor is in a 57 as well as a dynaflow.<BR>But I'm afraid the trani is on it's way out.<BR>What are the options for rebuilding or are there any sources for dynaflow transmissions.<BR>Is the TH400 a better transmission? I've heard<BR>you have to baby the dynaflow. I also have heard people used these nailheads for ford<BR>roadsters and drag cars, they were'nt using the<BR>dynaflow behind were they?

The dynaflow trans is one tough unit. The early ones left much to be desired ,but by 57 thay were good. I pulled an Airstream trailer all over the country with my 57 Caballero in the 80s and never had a problem. I added a trans cooler and that was it ,and when I sold the car it was still working perfectly.

I think Ivo had one in his T bucket, but most all used in and out boxes in those days. I do know that Walter Gibbons, the guy who built and owns the Blown 364 that I post the photo of all the time ran a rail at the hot rod drags in the mid 80's that had a dynaflow. <P>If you really need another reson to stick with the Dynaflow, get a copy of Ray Charles song "It shoulda been me" he refers to the dynadflow as something to own. It's a great song.<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<BR>"Fan of anything that moves human beings"