How do I remove the rear wheel on a 29 Oakland

Guest oakland

Guest oakland

I have to change seals on the rear wheel of my 29 Oakland. I removed the axil nut and lock washer. Is there any other things I have to remove? In the manual it says to use a puller and not to hit the wheel off. I assume the puller screws onto the hub cap threads. Is there any place I can get one or make one? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Check the parts manual, or some kind of exploded view to verify there is not a clamping collar, or some sort of locking mechanism to help secure the rear hubs to axle other than the large nut! IF it is SIMPLY a press fit on a tapered axle shaft with a key, and you've removed the nut, I've had luck tapping the inside of the rear tire, (still mounted to the wheel), with a large rubber hammer. Rotate wheel while doing this and have patience doing this. They can be very ornery to get them off because of rust and old, hardened grease. I wish I could tell you where to secure a puller for your rear hubs, but I do not know. Perhaps a local club or another Oakland car collector? Be careful when the hub finally breaks loose, it may want to slide off axle in a hurry and possible thread damage could occur from the steel hub. I cover the threads with heavy tape when I do this.

You should use a bell shaped wheel puller.

The different wheel makers used individual size hubs.

Measure the hubcap diameter to purchase the correct size.

You can then post a request for your size on the Buy/Sell forum.

There is a man previously identified here that will make one for you.

Does anyone have his phone or email address.

You can also look on eBay using the following search, there are several of different sizes available.

("HUP pULLER","HUB PULLER","wheel puller") -(flywheel,"fly wheel",honda,clutch,"steering wheel","Brand New Universal Hub Puller")

The photo is an example of what you are looking for but is probably too large.

Hope this helps.

wheel puller on ebay.pdf

Edited by huptoy (see edit history)