Drum to Disc conversion on a 56 Century

I've got a '56 Century that I'm modifying extensively. I just rebuilt a 455 that I'm still trying to decide how to drop in. I haven't decided on the tranny yet. I have a TH400 but I'm leaning towards an overdrive. The rearend is out of a '71 GS455. Anyway, the big question is: How can I put disc brakes up front?

I am in process of doing same aa you, only its a 455 into a 1955 Special. I am just now exploring how to redo the spindles etc to adapt the disc brakes. I will send you any info I get & hope you can do same for me. Thanx Pete<P>------------------<BR>K.R. "Pete" Peterson

Just to jump in on this retro fit of a 455 into a 55/56 special/century, i have talked to many and the best way i've heard is for a subframe from a 70's mid size , chevy,olds,buick .that way all the front radiator,dics.ect every thing will be already done ...what is your Thoughs on this avenue ????? any help would be appreciated..... Thanx

As a follow up on "drum to disc", I probably will not know until I get the 264 out & we are looking at possible adapting & or machining some parts to handle the discs with safety being the main point. It maybe 2 months before I will know ? smile.gif<P>------------------<BR>K.R. "Pete" Peterson

i know this might not be the 'easy' way to get disc brakes, but i replaced the frame and floorpan of my 50 special with a 73 rivi. i get 455, th400, power disk/drum brakes, power steering, tube shocks, and really cheap parts at any parts store.<P>you might also want to check fatman fabrications in charlotte, nc, they might have a front IFS system which will give you great handling and big brakes.<P><P>------------------<BR>allan<BR>--------------<BR>50 special, 455/th400<BR>64 stude gt hawk, 289/auto<BR>76 poncho GP, 400/th400

Many people are quick to say "clip it". I am not overly familiar with the '56 front end, but I am putting a 455 in a '59. A few asked me if I was going to subframe it and my thinking is, why go thru the trouble/time/expense to get the same IFS design and lose my 12" finned aluminum drums? I fabricated new motor mount 'horns', notched the frame for oil filter clearance & fab'd a new trans crossmember. All my sheetmetal & structurals will bolt right on & align this way. The only downsides I see are possible header/steering box interference & some time matching up radiator hoses. Of course, '56s don't have the big aluminum drums- is a retro-fit to those at all possible?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WF59B:<BR><B>Many people are quick to say "clip it". I am not overly familiar with the '56 front end, but I am putting a 455 in a '59. A few asked me if I was going to subframe it and my thinking is, why go thru the trouble/time/expense to get the same IFS design and lose my 12" finned aluminum drums? I fabricated new motor mount 'horns', notched the frame for oil filter clearance & fab'd a new trans crossmember. All my sheetmetal & structurals will bolt right on & align this way. The only downsides I see are possible header/steering box interference & some time matching up radiator hoses. Of course, '56s don't have the big aluminum drums- is a retro-fit to those at all possible?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sir: I believe it is, and that is the plan on my '54 Special. The original hubs have to be retained and pressed onto the later aluminum brums. Also be sure to have the larger-series backing plates to accomodate the larger size drum, which is 2.5 inch brake surface. Mind you, I have not pulled this off yet, but have ben planning for the eventuality. <P>