1946 Desoto fluid drive problem

Guest chambers59

Guest chambers59

Hi: I have what I believe to be a 1946 Desoto deluxe, suicide 4 door, flathead 6 with a fluid drive transmission. I have read that with this transmission you should be able to bring the car to a complete stop while in gear and the clutch out, mine will die. Also about 1/8 mile after taking off there comes a clicking sound from the transmission and the transfer of power stops as if the clutch were pushed in. If I do push in and let out the clutch it will go another short distance. Is there some other geared or splined connection that could be faulty? I notice 2 wires going from the carb to a device on the transmission, could there be a problem here? I need help.

Thanks

If you do a search in the Chrysler and Dodge sections you will find some in depth discussions of Fluid Drive around 2008. They give complete instructions for operating and servicing the trans and fluid drive (they are separate).

Yes you should be able to stop without touching the clutch, just like any automatic trans. Once you get up to 14 MPH you can let off the gas and the trans is supposed to shift up.

There should be 2 wires from the coil to the carb, then from the carb to the transmission. These control the upshift and downshift. If you do the search recommended above, there is a wiring diagram in one of the old posts.

9 times out of 10, a problem with one of these can be traced to 2 things. Low on oil or wiring frayed, broken or messed up.

You must also have the engine tuned correctly (idle speed 450 RPM) and know how to operate the trans.

Do the search for Fluid Drive and spend an evening reading, it will clear up many things for you. Pay special attention to posts by Rusty O'Toole.