1924 Clutch plates

Guest Beqa diver

Guest Beqa diver

I am trying to take apart my multi disk clutch. I am wondering how to release the spring to get the split washer out. I am sure that I will have to build a clamp to do this... any help would be great.

Greg

post-85412-143138987194_thumb.jpg

post-85412-143138987198_thumb.jpg

Hi, when I pulled my clutch apart I use a 20 Tonne Garage press, and a spare fly wheel. If you would like to know the whole story let me know. It is a bit involved. Also some members may know of a better way or a special tool to do it. Either way I am happy to help.

Regards Brian

Guest Beqa diver

Thanks Brian,

I'm going to try one of the following three things. Build a jig for the drill press - but a little hesitant because I'm not sure of the spring pressure. Chuck it in our lathe - again building a jig. But I think the best option I've come up with is building a small press, with a bottle jack and frame. I can customize tubing that fits the split washer and notch the sides so I can reach in and remove the washer. Hopefully my head and hands will remain attached......more to follow.

Hi again, your on the money with press and tube idea. I used a crazy mix of what I had laying around. 2 pieces of 3mm angle 140mm long with cut outs 30mm long in the corners . The pieces will need to be long enough because the spring comes out quite a distance. So wear safety glass. Not sure the pressure but 6 tonne jack should do if the stroke is long enough. Because when you remove the collets the spring comes right up. On the end cup use texta to mark where the spring clip goes through for assembley. I used the flywheel to align the plate holes so the whole job was done inside the flywheel. It took me a bit of messing about to get this. By the way your clutch holes look ok so unless the bush needs replacing I think it is .750inch, I would not pull it apart. anyway good luck

regards Brian

G'day Greg

I used my pedestal drill and a 6 inch length of water pipe 2 inches inside diameter and cut a section of the water pipe away to access the split washer. I also used an old flywheel to support the clutch assembly. I found that the pedestal drill was able to handle the tension on the spring. After removing the split washer, release the spring slowly. The free length of the spring is just over 6 inches,when fully released it will protude from its housing by approx 3 inches. I have an old spring and housing and I found with a little effort, I could compress the spring by hand. One still needs to be cautious. Hope this is helpful. Bob

Guest Beqa diver

Thank you for the help! We decided to use the drill press to take out the spring... It worked :)

No loss of life or limb happened in this process. Pictures attached to help others.

Greg

post-85412-143138992535_thumb.jpeg

post-85412-143138992592_thumb.jpeg

post-85412-143138992595_thumb.jpeg

post-85412-143138992598_thumb.jpeg

post-85412-143138992601_thumb.jpeg

post-85412-143138992604_thumb.jpeg

post-85412-143138992606_thumb.jpeg