Engine serial Number 56 Olds Help

nifty 6

Hi, Looking for the engine serial number for my 56 Olds. The shop manual says the number is located between the front and center exhaust manifold ports, driver side. The pad is painted white prior to stamping for visibility of numbers. The manual shows a picture where to look. But my engine doesn't show any numbers in that area. Also the picture shows numbers on the side of the exhaust manifold which I don't have either. The only numbers I see is on the manifold behind the carb. 567390. Would that be the manifold number? and of course the firing order stamped on the manifold in front of the carb. So my question is where is the engine serial number if it is not stamped on the exhaust manifold as what the manual indicates where it should be.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks...

Ron....

Ron, I think the number is actually stamped on the head, not the exhaust manifold. I don't have the 56 book, but the 54, 55 and 57 books show the same location and mention the white paint. The 57 probably has the clearest close-up picture and the machined pad appears to be right at the bottom edge of the cylinder head, almost right up against the exhaust manifold.

Do you know if the engine has ever had a head replaced? or if the heads have possibly been switched side to side?

Look on the passenger head and see if the stampings are there. If not, only thing I can come up with is that the driver side head has been replaced some time in the last 5 decades.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pete324rock

I thought it was on the block,drivers side, there is a flat spot sticking out and the numbers are stamped but you will have to clean the area to see these things.Between the front two cylinders I recall ...