Parting out Plymouth 4 cyl Silverdome "U" series engine 1929...

Dodgy6

I am parting out this engine. I believe it is the same engine used in the DB light 4cyl trucks of the same era. Full story of engine and pics here:

http://forums.aaca.org/f154/plymouth-u-engine-328197.html

I am getting ready to advertise stuff so if anybody wants anything give me a shout now.

I have pulled the head and cleaned it up - all looks good. Original Gasket should be re-usable.

Oil pump pulled and seems to be in good working order. Turns freely and soulds like it has suction.

Inlet manifold pulled - is clean and intact. There was rust scale inside but it is solid with no cracks or holes.

Valve cover pulled and is straight.

Water Inlet and outlet fittings are pulled. Both solid and usable - prob need a little cleaning up if you are doing a proper resto.

Havn't dropped the oil pan yet.

Clutch pedal and mechanisms all there.

Small pedal that looks like it was attached to the starter is there with mechanism - I havn't figured that one out yet!

Let me know if there are any other bits you want me to pull or just want to see more detailed pics. I am happy to help.

Ross. :)

Edited by Dodgy6 (see edit history)

Guest 1930

Lots of good parts there, shipping would would be a deal breaker in most cases but surely someone local would need some of that stuff

Lots of good parts there, shipping would would be a deal breaker in most cases but surely someone local would need some of that stuff

Yes, you are right about shipping costs. Trust me it works both ways! The amount of stuff I can get from the States compared to over here for my DA, means there is no way I am going to get ahead on my project without being slugged on overseas shipping for something at some point. :(

However, I thought I'd give the guys on this forum first right of refusal seeing as it has been good to me so far. Something smaller like an oil pump for eg. wouldn't be so bad on shipping for someone who might be finding it hard to source one from the US. I will be listing this stuff "locally" soon. Also I havn't seen too many Australian Plymouth "U" owners let alone 4 cyl DB truck guys over here. :)

Guest 1930

Check out this site Ross.........http://www.1948plymouth.info/28Q29U/index.php

Lots of Plymouth owners here and if you go thru a few of the posts in the general discussion area you will find some guys living on the same continent as yourself that I am sure would love to have some of the parts if not entire drive-train.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Check out this site Ross.........28Q29U Plymouth Forum - Index

Lots of Plymouth owners here and if you go thru a few of the posts in the general discussion area you will find some guys living on the same continent as yourself that I am sure would love to have some of the parts if not entire drive-train.

Wow, thanks Jason. I didn't come across that site in my search for info on this engine. I'll give it a crack!

• 2 weeks later...
Ross, would be interested in piece where the distributor mounts if in good shape. I have one that feel apart on me.

You can have it if you wan't it for the cost of shipping. Its not in great shape.

Its had a weld repair job done on it at some point - and not a very good one by the looks. There is also a chunk out of the drive mechansim but if you only need the housing then it may be salvagable....PM me if you are still interested.

Ross :)

post-84687-143138987882_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138987926_thumb.jpg

post-84687-143138987971_thumb.jpg

Ross,

Your version looks steel. Mine are aluminum or pot metal. I included a couple photos. Not sure of the difference or even if they are interchangeable. Anyone know?

Second picture shows the pot metal that just feel apart.

post-69599-14313898933_thumb.jpg

post-69599-143138989326_thumb.jpg

Ross,

Your version looks steel. Mine are aluminum or pot metal. I included a couple photos. Not sure of the difference or even if they are interchangeable. Anyone know?

Second picture shows the pot metal that just feel apart.

[ATTACH]131677[/ATTACH][ATTACH]131678[/ATTACH]

You could measure the width of the bolt holes - that might give us half an idea if they are interchangeable. From your photos I wonder if those holes are offset like mine are? And perhaps measure the diameter and maybe some lenghts on the shaft too. The worm gear on your dizzy shaft looks like it would line up with the worm gear that is still in my moubting bracket. The teeth are rusted to the point of no return though, but it still turns freely.

Or just take a punt and get me to sent it to you. Just remember it isn't in mint condition either! :)