'36 Chrysler Question

ronbarn

A friend of mine rescued what has been identified as a 1936 Chrysler Deluxe Airstream (not Airflow) C-8 Rumble Seat Coupe, Serial #C8RC-1123. The car is rough and I mean rough in every since of the word. Only the most ardent Chrysler enthusiast would want to tackle the restoration. However there is one feature on the body which is interesting - a "sun roof" top. It is sheet metal and appears to be designed to raise a small distance with a type of sissors jack. Is this some kind of kluge by an inventive previous owner or was it something offered by Chrysler. <P>We would like the information on the top just out of curiosity. If someone was interested the car could probably be obtained for very little, but as I said, it is really rough.

Ron,<BR> I spoke last night to a Chesapeake Region member who has a '36 Chrysler coupe. He tells me that in 1935 the Chrysler coupes had a soft top. In '36 they welded in and caulked a steel insert to eliminate the soft top. He knows of no factory sunroof; however it sounds like it would have been very easy to remove the insert and jury rig ones own sunroof.<P>jnp