wire size question, 1933 Buick

Guest outlaw car man

Guest outlaw car man

Is there any reason I can't go from a 12 guage wire to a 16 guage wire. My led coming from the front of the car to the rear of the car is 12 G ( I think ) , this is hooked directly to the courtesy lights which are 16 G. The wire it's self looks the same but the wire cover is bigger

I couldn't see any difference, but was thinking about that. I could change it out for no particular interest, but thought I'd ask.

Any clues ?

Thanks,

Sandy

Guest outlaw car man

I learned that with battery cables, way back when. It's not a big deal to change it out, I was just thinking with the little amount of use, I coiuld not worry.

Everything else is wired in the larger wire, just a 3-4 foot run from the post to behind the rear seat-

Mike, did I tell you the Marvels are running perfect- HAAAAAA. I think they are dialed in, maybe the lack of humidity. When you come down out of the mountains to sell your furs, I'll prove it.

Sandy

Sandy,

No beavers this year. The creeks have all dried up. Hasn't snowed since January, and not a stitch of rain either.

Watched you and loco talking "beer". Saw Grant and Danny jumped in too. Wonder if they have lucas refigerators ???? (warm beer joke).

Glad to see the Marvels up and running. Like I said in another post, the carburator gods are smiling on you now, but they can be a fickle bunch sometimes. Must be your clean living, HAHA.

Mike in Colorado

Guest Grant Magrath
Sandy,

Wonder if they have lucas refigerators ???? (warm beer joke).

Ha ha!

You must have us confused with our English cousins!:)

Cheers

Grant

Guest outlaw car man

Wonder if they have lucas refigerators ???? (warm beer joke).

I always said that about my E-Type Jag....

Grant, and the rest of the group down under are LAGER drinkers, I believe, the guys over the pond are the ALE drinkers, hence, broken " ice boxes "

On my wire question, a buddy and long time old car buff, said he thought it wouldn't make much difference in connecting wire sizes that are so close. Maybe a different story with headlights or something on more. I think I'll still install the larger wire, unless I hear different.

Sandy

( lager man )

Guest Grant Magrath
Mike,

In Australia, warm beer would be considered a serious situation needing immediate attention and would not be considered a joke or humorous in any way. :):)

Danny

Brilliant!

Guest buicker

12 gauge for a dome light circuit seems like overkill, I will have to check mine but seems like the older wire had more insulation so sometimes the gauge is hard to gauge. just look at the actual copper, plus if it's not in the engine compartment no need for extra insulation. Six volt systems do require heavier gauge but it's just a dome light and you probably won't be trying to start the car with the dome light on.

Guest outlaw car man

Thanks- This will save a lot of time. Original wire looked like 16, 18 area, not a good judge of wire, but close. My wire chart says 14. I was using a spool of wire that came with a 33 90 wire loom kit from 20 years ago.

I'm good.