1937 Coupe - New Headliner

AACA Library

I am scrambling to finish up my winter projects before my baby arrives in the world (due date May 14th).

I bought a headliner from Lebaron Bonney and this past weekend I installed it. The installation went smoothly enough but the headliner is not as tight as the original was. Are there any tricks to get all the last wrinkles out? I thought about spraying it lightly with distilled water then hitting it with a heat gun or hairdryer in hopes that the cotton would shrink.

Tips or suggestions?

-Chris

I have done exactly one headliner ('38 Special 2-door), so I am not an expert. But, if I do it again, I know what to do differently.

On mine, I had to poke holes in the fabric loops to get the hooks through. I should have cut slots about 3/4" long instead of the holes. This way, when I pulled on the edges just prior to nailing it in place, I would have had more freedom to pull all the way across. I think the holes that I made restricted my ability to pull as much as I could / should have. Didn't realize this at the time.

My 2 cents.

Jeff

Guest Grant Magrath

Here's one my father made and I installed for my old 39 Chev......

543550_3576041677960_1180632791_33575209_1926074754_n.jpg

552829_3576043918016_1180632791_33575216_686512527_n.jpg

And here's the LeBarron Bonney one on the 39 coupe. A few repairs had to be made first before installation.

22472_1356093540644_1180632791_31110001_4284943_n.jpg

The trick is to take your time, start from the center, and work your way out, and if you have to go back and re-tack, then that's what you do! It took ages to get the Chev right. I used a water bottle to mist hot water on the headliner and a hair dryer to get it a bit tighter, but all the wrinkles had to be delt with first.

Cheers

Grant

Guest outlaw car man

The trick is to hire Grant ! He's only 25 hours away, travel time gets expensive tho.

Boy those look great.

Actually at 1963 prices, wouldn't be to bad-

Sandy

Guest Grant Magrath

Ha ha!

Thanks Sandy! Better hire my father as well. He made the Chev one from scratch and modified the coupe one to fit better. We're both from the clothing industry originally, so we know our way around fabric, patterns and sewing machines, although the Chev one was made on an old domestic plain sewer, the sort your wife would have tucked away somewhere. Used what was left of the old one as a pattern and used wool. Although napped cotton would have been more correct and easier to fit.

I prefer to use a staple gun rather than tacks, but tacks may be easier around the bottom of the C pillars. As I said above, start in the middle and work your way out to the sides, gradually making your way towards the front and rear. It's very important to keep the seams laser straight. Don't be afraid to undo, and re-attach. The more time you put in, the better the result.

Cheers

Grant

See if you can rent or borrow a steamer, there's one specifically made to shrink material, and often used on headliners.

The advice given is correct, you need to have a centerline on both car and headliner to work from, if it's put in crooked it'll have wrinkles. You also need to be able to pull sideways as mentioned........