A/C High Side

CMJAnew

Attempted to charge the a/c on one of my 90s today. Seems the shrader valve on the high side leaks (does not seat). Is it replaceable, or does the entire tube need to be?

It was switched to 134 many years ago. I do not know how long its been without functioning air as I'm not the primary driver of this vehicle.

While I'm here, I'll ask the same questions of the low side.

Thanks

Not an easy answer. I assume the fittings were changed to 134 style; some of these retro-fits required the origional Schrader valve to be removed, some retained it.

But, no, the high-side tube doesn't need to be replaced, but a special tool is needed to remove the valve.

I made one from a 3/16" brake line (pipe) with a slot cut in the end.

Guest Mc_Reatta

The Schrader valves are replaceable. You want to replace them with ones made for AC applications as the seals are different then for tire or fuel line applications. Most FLAPS or an AC shop should have them available.

Guest spongebob

you can get a schrader valve remove tool at any bicycle store..ive done some research on schader valves and it seems the only odd one is used for high pressure aircraft applications...other wise they be the same on ac and tires..

i do refrigeration and buy them from where ever i find them....ive had no problerms with them.

Edited by spongebob (see edit history)

Guest Mc_Reatta
When you all write of valves being removable, are you talking about the "core/guts" of the valve, or the entire "valve" unit.

I have the little tool for removing cores from tire valve stems.

The core. Check that it is tight. Some leak just because they've loosened up, not because the seal is faulty.

Here's a link to a previous thread on this topic:

http://forums.aaca.org/f116/murphy-overtime-305699.html