Softening old leather

CrestaMan

Hi everyone,

I am about to start the interior work on my '50 Cadillac and I want to use the old leather as templates. Problem is the leather is now 60 years old and very dry and stiff. How can I soften it up before removal?

Regards

CrestaMan

The trick to using old seats as a template is don't take them apart.

Get your new leather and cut panels to size. Mark the seams on the old seat material, right angle to the seam, at 3 to 5 inch random distances (good chalk if you want to save the seat for posterity, magic marker if you don't care). Pin the new leather panel over the old panel, marking seam (or welting), and marking the above mentioned random marks with chalk (these are used to sew new leather together, and stretch or shrink leather to fit to match marks as you sew).

When you have all panels patterned, THEN you can take the seat apart and work on the underwear of the seat.

Cut the new panels out about 3/16 inch beyond the border mark, and make a shallow "V" cut at each of the "match" marks. You'll use these as a match guide to sew new cover.

Using taken apart upholstery as a pattern is not a good idea, as you won't get the curves and such that are needed, as the leather has already "formed" itself and won't lay flat.

I hope I've explained it correctly, one of those things so much easier to show than tell.........