A Little Something from Topeka, KS!

I’m going to try something a little different guys! I have just started doing a little scoring for the year, 2012. I’d be lying if I wasn’t telling you that I’m having trouble getting with the program. No, I can do the work, I am just spending way too much time actually “reading” instead of “scoring”. Let me show you an example:

Dateline: April 2012-Topeka Region Sidelights Newsletter

President’s Report-Road Noise

by President-Gary Cunningham

“You have all heard the statement, “everything I needed to know I Iearned in Kindergarten”? In my case, everything I needed to know I learned in a Texaco Station. “

Gary goes on to say that he started cleaning the restrooms, moved up to waiting on the gas customers, and began servicing customer cars. Gary worked there seven years before “deciding that I needed more formal education”.

” There were always some of the old timers and locals sitting around the station spinning yarns and I soaked up all of this knowledge like a sponge. Some of the things they told me about the opposite sex were, for the most part, totally useless. Some things you just have to find out for yourself. I did learn a lot about cars and, if I remember it, it does help in the old car hobby.”

Gary listed 2 things he learned at the old station:

One, never slam the hood on an old Mopar. The hood will just bounce and not latch. You shut it easily past the safety latch, then push it down till it latches.

Two, Don’t maintain a full oil level on old flat heads. They will just throw the 1<SUP>st</SUP> pint out in just a few hundred miles, but will run forever on the add mark.

<O:p</O:p

Gary gets high marks from me because he creates a strong interest in his region’s newsletter. Gary also struck close home to me too, because I learned a lot at the “Farmers Center” a mile from my house. I can tell you all about hunting, fishing, cooking chitlins, (bad day at the store, everyone left for home that day)and telling tall tales. :o

Well, off course again here Wayne. The point I'm trying to make is that a little humor in your newsletters can get members to really look forward to the next issue.

Anyway, I hope our Publications Committee takes a little time to share some of the cool things they’ll run across this year.

<O:p</O:p

Wayne