Striping 1935-36 artillary wheels

Guest TJOaks

Guest TJOaks

I am working on a 1936 Buick and like most all other GM cars that year it has the steel spoke "artillary wheels." Does anyone have any experience or a hint as how to restripe these wheels? This one is a bit of a challenge for me.

I have done the thin and thick wheel stripes on regular steel rims of that era but not the "bottle cap" style on artillary wheels.

Jeff

I'm looking at some pretty clear photos of the 1936 Century restored by Marshall England (now owned by General Motors). It doesn't appear to have any stripes on the wheels, but I don't have a close-up shot. John Shore in Media Pa also has one, so you might want to get in contact with him. (I've sent a message to John, so perhaps he'll come on the forum with an answer)

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

For our coupe, we got the dimensions of the three stripes our wheels had and got some computer cut vinyl stripes made. Caused quite a stir amongst a few of the purists who suggested that they should be painted on! But at the time, I could see no way of painting them freehand, and getting them factory perfect. But someone pointed out that it could have been done using a computer cut vinyl stencil. So if you can work out the measurements of your pattern, a good signwriting outfit could do you some stencils, then, spray your color on like the factory probably did!

246692_2110166071986_1180632791_32619229_7952270_n.jpg

Cheers

Grant

Guest TJOaks

Thanks for the help.

The photos of John's wheels are the same pattern as mine. (Thanks for the photos John) On my car, the 4 wheels on the ground were restriped and they did a pretty good job, but the two spares are untouched originals, black with medium creme stripes. They are the patterns to go by. They appear to be free handed or brush painted from the factory. Unfortunately, my free hand painting capabilities are nowhere near that steady. I guess I need to come up with a templete of somekind or one of those talented painters that can take one look at it and do it.

Grant, Getting a stencil made may be the way to go for me. I actually had good luck several years ago striping my '36 Packard 120 wheels with a Bueglar striping tool and a steadyrest. I had measured the distances and thickness of the stripes like you did, mounted the rims one at a time on an axle, rotated the wheel with the striping tool on a steadyrest and waalaah.. I was impressed myself at the results.

I can tell Artillery wheels are going to be more of a challenge though. If anyone has had any experience striping these type rims please let me know. Thanks again for your help..

Guest outlaw car man

Looks very close to my 1933. Some close ups of it-

Dave Corbin was here said they used a stencil at the factory. Mine have touch up areas, but few.

I don't have the other one pinstripped yet, so would be interested if something comes up here on a process. Can hire a pinstripper, but then have to get my Will Work for Food sign out again.

Sandy

post-54015-143138913077_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143138913093_thumb.jpg