Gauges Installation Question

Guest dpdean

Guest dpdean

I recently purchased a '65 Riviera and would like to add a set of gauges. Can anyone suggest the best area in the firewall to route the gauge wiring without causing any damage? I plan to install the small gauge panel in front of the fuse panel ie forward of the driver's knee area.

Also while the temp sender is clearly visible (and as my shop manual has not arrived yet) where is the location of the oil pressure sender on the 401 engine?

Any help is greatly appreciated .

Just an option for you but if you look at the driver's side head on the top near the firewall you will find a plug that can be removed. This is the same plug where your temp sending unit is installed if the heads were reversed. Install your gauge temp sending unit there and it will allow you to keep your temperature warning light. If you take the oil pressure sending unit out and install a "T" you can have the warning light and also the oil pressure gauge.

One last thought is installation location is owners choice but most people install the gauges just to the left of the console. Installing them to the left side of the dash could get in the way of the fuse panel which is on the bottom side of the dash and not on the firewall.

Good luck,

Guest dpdean

Hi Don,

Thanks for the help. I would never have found that temp plug port, it is much closer to the intended firewall area and does not require sending another wire over the engine. I have tried to add a photo of the fitting area I believe you referred to. My computer skills leave a lot to be desired so it may not appear.

I am still looking for a grommet or opening through the firewall without having to drill but this may be my only option.

As for the gauge location I selected this area for a couple of reasons. The actual gauge panel is quite small as well as light measuring about 1" X 6" and can be mounted directly to the fuse panel door with Velcro or 2 sided tape. It not only monitors (via LCD readout) all the important functions as well as RPM and more. The panel has one removable harness that plug in the back of the monitor panel.

The other benefit is the dash remains completely stock and in that lower location it is only discretely visible to the driver. I am attaching a photo to give you and idea of the panel.

I am new to the ROA and this forum and have only had the car for a week and I must say I am still like a kid at Christmas discovering what the car is all about and very much appreciate the suggestions.

/Users/dbsagencies/Desktop/DSCN6135.jpg

/Users/dbsagencies/Desktop/DSCN6131.jpg

/Users/dbsagencies/Desktop/DSCN6130.jpg

Dennis Dean

ROA #13565